How late in season do you run your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dw06

Nov 15, 2010
SW Pa
I'm new to the pellet stoves, my 1st year burning one. I am so impressed and pleased with it right now that I counted my pellet stock today, and discounting a warm spell have enough on hand to last till sometime in mid march. Planning on running it into late april, so am going to pick up another ton. So was just wondering how late do you run your stove? I know it depends on the weather and temps, and I plan on running it at least at night as long as needed, just don't know how long that may be which makes it hard to plan pellet wise.
This stove has cut my heating cost in half, or slightly more and that's having the temp at 75 instead of 70. And I enjoy tending to it to boot!

I think it depends on the area your in and How warm you want the inside to be. I have run mine up to late May early June most seasons. One other thing is you don't burn as much in the shoulder seasons. Presently going thru close to 2 bags a day. In the shoulders a bag will last up to 4 days depending on how warm it is.

Late May-early June, and any damp day. Nothing better to dry the lower level out, even if I have to open the windows and run the stove! I have a dehumidifier, but that leaves a lot of stale air and a high electric bill. Beside, any excuse to sit around in a t shirt and boxers is a good excuse.

may to june here.. but we do live in new england . SW PA might be different. i dont go through many bags in april may june even march bags do last longer

We have 3 stoves in the house.

One tiny one that can handle the duties when the weather is mild
One large stove that handles the job when its cold.

We use the two combined when its really cold.

Now last season we ran the little stove at times up until the second week of June.
This fall, stove season started off and on in late september

A small fire in the morning to take the chill off or sometimes all night just to keep the chill off.

The 3rd stove is a backup and will come on via T stat if the house gets too cold.

Just varies with the weather and where you live.

I am about 25 miles south of Portland Oregon and at an elevation of 1250 Ft

Snowy

Usually have mine going until about the beginning or middle of May. When the house will stay at 68 degrees by itself, the stove gets turned off.

May...

I ran mine into May this past year. I hate being cold!!

Last year it was mid May as it was a cold year in general... most years it warms up mid April and I shut off the heat then.

Status
Not open for further replies.