How Long a Wood Insert will Last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Regency large insert model I3100 was installed in 2000 and has been operated since during every winter from early November to late April. I burn about 6 hardwood cords per year and when the temperatures outside dip to below -20 Celsius I have a habit of putting 3-4 large logs inside the hot fireplace, close the damper to about 1/4" and then she burn slow and hot until the morning.

In my area the chimney people who come once per year to clean/inspect the fireplace know nothing about fireplaces, they are just hired hands for a dirty job and so I have no way to know the condition of my fireplace. I have replaced a few cracked bricks inside myself but I wonder about the strength of the steel box. The unit gets quite hot at night and that makes me worry how long this 22 years old unit will last.

Does anyone has experience or way to determine the condition of a wood insert?

Thanks

Reactions: MR. GLO
Steel stoves and inserts can last a long time if not overfired. In spring, clean it out very well and do a thorough visual examination for any cracks developing or broken welds. If none, then carry on.

My Regency large insert model I3100 was installed in 2000 and has been operated since during every winter from early November to late April. I burn about 6 hardwood cords per year and when the temperatures outside dip to below -20 Celsius I have a habit of putting 3-4 large logs inside the hot fireplace, close the damper to about 1/4" and then she burn slow and hot until the morning.

In my area the chimney people who come once per year to clean/inspect the fireplace know nothing about fireplaces, they are just hired hands for a dirty job and so I have no way to know the condition of my fireplace. I have replaced a few cracked bricks inside myself but I wonder about the strength of the steel box. The unit gets quite hot at night and that makes me worry how long this 22 years old unit will last.

Thanks
Regencies really only have 2 weak spots to check. The secondary air baffles in the back top of the firebox below the baffles and the center of the air wash manifold above the door. I have very occasionally seen cracking at the corners of the doors.

At 22 years you should probably be having your liner scanned every few years as well to check condition of it.

Reactions: oskar470
Never thought you can scan the liner but sound a very good idea to me. Have no idea how to get someone providing this service but I will ask my local dealer and let him find the answer.

Much appreciated for the help

Thanks
I have the same unit and it has developed cracks after 7 years and the exact same locations of the pictures readily available online. Very disappointing. We have been meticulous about a fan and choking as required. Currently in the warranty process which is complicated due to bankruptcy of the original owner of the business. Being an engineer I'm very mindful of taking care of things so I'm quite disappointed and concerned at the moment. Really not sure I did the right thing with going to a fireplace insert. Sounds like yours was run much harder than mine. Perhaps she will be luckier than me.

I have the same unit and it has developed cracks after 7 years and the exact same locations of the pictures readily available online. Very disappointing. We have been meticulous about a fan and choking as required. Currently in the warranty process which is complicated due to bankruptcy of the original owner of the business. Being an engineer I'm very mindful of taking care of things so I'm quite disappointed and concerned at the moment. Really not sure I did the right thing with going to a fireplace insert. Sounds like yours was run much harder than mine. Perhaps she will be luckier than me.
They have run 6 cords a year for over 20 years with no issues.

They have run 6 cords a year for over 20 years with no issues.
Good for them.

Just reading your sarcastic remarks about blaze King in another column when your note popped up. Interesting.

Heavy use and Heavy abuse are 2 totally different things.

6 cords in a year is definitely heavy use.

1 cord a year over fired 2 times a week is definitely heavy abuse.

Everyone's situation is different. There will never be a same scenario.

Use it, dont abuse it.

#8 Can I complain and/or praise/pump my particular Of course! However, it must be in a proportional manner and not as a "sales pitch". What this means is that you and every other purchaser has a right to place a rating/review on our special section at: ht
I'm surprised you got cracks after only 7 years, I guess I'm lucky cause after 22 years and heavy use she is still going. Perhaps you just got a bad one and sorry to hear that
Happy you got so much time out of yours and it is still going. I've got a bunch of extra parts for my 3100 if you are interested in them, the blower, and a rope for the door seal, and a set of bricks. Just keep doing what you're doing! I loved the unit until the cracks developed. Spare parts I got to end up in a landfill most likely.

Happy you got so much time out of yours and it is still going. I've got a bunch of extra parts for my 3100 if you are interested in them, the blower, and a rope for the door seal, and a set of bricks. Just keep doing what you're doing! I loved the unit until the cracks developed. Spare parts I got to end up in a landfill most likely.
If regency doesn't honor the warranty due to you missing the required information just have the unit welded and then get your excessive draft under control it will last many more years

#8 Can I complain and/or praise/pump my particular

Of course! However, it must be in a proportional manner and not as a "sales pitch".
What this means is that you and every other purchaser has a right to place a rating/review on our special section at:
http://www.hearth.com/talk/ratings.php

However, quoted from our original forum rules, please note:
"It is against the Forum Rules to spend endless threads promoting a certain brand or product, even if you don't financially benefit from it (and, of course, if you do!)."

The reasoning is simple - if a single member has 200 posts complaining about a certain product or brand, it tends to slant the forum in a direction which may not be accurate. However, if 20 members review their stove in our ratings sections and have poor experiences, that is likely to mean a lot more. The same goes for positive reviews and posts. If a member starts a thread saying "Do you like your Upland Stove?", you are certainly free to answer in the affirmative and point to the stove review you posted. If they ask about the details how you run your Upland Stove, you should feel free to share. This is all educational as opposed to a sales pitch.