How long do the secondary flames actually burn compared to the total burn time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtcates

Mar 1, 2010
Central NC
I have never had a new epa stove and just wondered how long the secondary flames burned compaired to total burn time of a full load.

north of 60 said:
I would say from my previous stove would be 1.5 to 2.5 hrs but that would be pushing it. I think you answer's will vary.

So when the secondary flames go out, I'm assuming there is still a considerable primary burn time left. Do you shut off the secondary air when the secondary flames no longer burn?
Does having secondary air for the last half of the burn actually burn anything?

Most modern EPA stoves don't have secondary air controls, only primary air controls. After the wood has completely outgassed it will still have a lot of heating potential as charcoal, but no longer is producing combustible gases.

About an hour or hour in a half,,,,depending on the wood load and type of wood.

If I am going for the light show, which I quit doing three years ago, my stoves would keep it going for thirty to forty five minutes. Any more I start backing it down at four to four fifty and settle the stove in to a five-fifty to six hundred burn and let the burn tubes do what they were designed to do, pick off stray gases that get past the burn on the wood. Longer more even burn and heat.

And less excitement watching the thermo take off for the sky. I don't know of one stove manual that says set off a volcano at the baffle. But I am the only one here with that burning philosophy. :smirk:

No your secondary air has no adjustment. It is a fixed opening so you have a better chance of burning clean. Your primary burn should give heat off for many hours,...again depending on your stove size. The amount of how much you cut down your primary air by using the lever will be different with each set up due to different flues/chimney heights affecting drafts. Even outdoor temps will effect and change your own set up through out the year.

I've had flames as long as 6 hours before but usually around 4 hours with a full load.

Todd said:
I've had flames as long as 6 hours before but usually around 4 hours with a full load.

Secondaries!?

No BB, that is the cat fur still finishing off the burn.

BrotherBart said:
If I am going for the light show, which I quit doing three years ago, my stoves would keep it going for thirty to forty five minutes. Any more I start backing it down at four to four fifty and settle the stove in to a five-fifty to six hundred burn and let the burn tubes do what they were designed to do, pick off stray gases that get past the burn on the wood. Longer more even burn and heat.

And less excitement watching the thermo take off for the sky. I don't know of one stove manual that says set off a volcano at the baffle. But I am the only one here with that burning philosophy. :smirk:

On my stove, if I want max. secondary burn, I need a couple of conditions to be true:

1.) Get the Stove/Flue sufficiently warm & drafting well - cold temps. & bit of wind also helps.

2.) Pack our stove full, turn-down air control and also partially or totally close the flue damper.

The result is usually an incredble firestorm effect in the firebox, putting out incredible amounts of heat
and creating a secondary burn that can last for more than an hour (even with our small stove).
Conditions need to be just right for this to occur, otherwise you get a smoking mess.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

Secondaries!?

I guess you could call them that. Floating blue orange flames above the splits. Right now I'm burning a 3/4 load that has had flame going since 6pm and the splits in the back haven't even torched yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.