How long for paint to stop smelling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessek21

Sep 22, 2010
seattle
So I repainted a wood insert and have had about 6 fires in it. It gives off an odor still.

It was repainted with stove paint ~ 1200 degrees limit. How many times should it give off an odor?

Thanks.

It should stop giving off odor after the stove has been hot enough to bake in the finish. Usually this is around 500F.

i gave up painting my stove.. i spend time and make it look pretty, and the first fire i have it all burns off and looks like crap again. I give up!

My stovepipe was double wall so it took it a solid week of burning to get it hot enough often enough to get the paint to cure enough to stop smelling. If I had a new stove, I would probably kill myself, or put on some floyd and enjoy the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.