Jotul 500 Rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DanLee

Nov 30, 2023
Have an Ivory colored Jotul 500 that the top has rusted, along with a few chips here and there. The top is the biggest concern. I contacted a local Jotul dealer a couple of years ago and inquired about how to resolve...they basically told me to live with it, as it is finished with a ceramic enamel and there was no way to repair it.

As it's gotten worse over time, I'm thinking of taking a wire brush to the top of it, and then repaint just to improve the appearance...but....
jotul stove top.jpg
I'm having difficulty finding the Ivory color paint, (other than a small 1/2 oz. bottle of touch-up for $39). The spray paint that I've discovered is not recommended for "wood stoves" ie, gas only.

Any Thoughts/Suggestions...?

I would try wire wheeling it instead of wire brushing. I would also remove the griddle & have it stripped separately. Maybe sand blasted, & leave it unfinished. Many enamel stoves have a bare metal griddle, so that would leave you with less surface to repaint. I would try the Stove Bright Jotul gas vent paint, even if it requires frequent touch up.

Thurmolox sells an ivory stove paint