How Long For Pine To Dry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hay guys !

The power company was here today, and trimmed the power lines. They cut 3 6 " - 10" pines, and an apple tree, below the power lines, and left the debris, ALL of it *insert happy dance here*

I'm sure the apple will dry way more quickly than the pine, but how long for the pine to be able to burn, if I get it cut into 16" -18" rounds this weekend, then get it split over the fall/winter? The trees were all alive. It's already dark, or I'd have some pics. Can do tomorrow, the pics that is.

I'm gonna vote 8 months based on past experience with a spruce tree. It was cut and split in November and I got 18% mc (per moisture meter)
in June. Spilt it small now and you could probably burn some in March. Nice Score!

The pine will dry much more quickly than the apple.

Apple is about the best firewood there is around. Burns hot and leaves excellent coals.

Plus the apple smells great when burning.

I would say 6-9 months for the pine and 12-18 for the apple.

J.P.

PS. If you can get more apple then go for it.

SnaykeByte said:
Pine will burn easily as soon as it is cut. The pine resin burns like fuel.

It will also create a lot of creosote. Better to season it as the others have said, 6-9 months.

myzamboni said:
SnaykeByte said:
Pine will burn easily as soon as it is cut. The pine resin burns like fuel.

It will also create a lot of creosote. Better to season it as the others have said, 6-9 months.

AGREED!!! And you will only get half the heat in comparison. It will make any stove and chimney :sick:

I've put softwoods (pine, fir, etc.) out in a single row in the sun and wind from June until September and, if the weather has been good, it has been very well seasoned. I certainly wouldn't try that with any of the fancy hardwoods out east!

Status
Not open for further replies.