How long for soft wood to rot in wood stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I have several cords of wood that has a lot of Poplar, Gum and soft Maple. It is around 2 years old and has not been covered. I brought some into the basement and noticed that a lot of it is punky. I don't remember it being that bad when I was stacking it. Could it rot that fast?

uncovered poplar goes to heck in a hurry, even if it is stacked... in two years it definitely could go punk..

Around here (I'm in the Upstate of SC too), any wood will start to rot in 2 years if you don't cover it -- 50+ inches of rain falling equally through the year (roughly an inch of rain every week) with humidity in the upper 80s most of the time...

I burn all my sorftwood with in a year.

Here in central PA, softwood will last a long time if split and kept off the ground. There seems to be line, perhaps the Mason Dixon line, that separates the north and south from a wood storage point of view.

Here in so. calif., if I keep firewood off the ground, it will prolly last forever or at least 'till I burn it. Don't even have to cover it 'less it's gonna rain and I plan to burn the wood within a few days. If something isn't in contact w/ moisture in these parts, it doesn't rot, it petrifies (or seems to).

Peace,
- Sequoia

Keep it up off the ground and the top of the pile covered and it will last for years. Otherwise, use it up fast or it will turn punky rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.