1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How long for soft wood to rot in wood stack

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Bspring, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bspring

Bspring Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Greenville, SC
    I have several cords of wood that has a lot of Poplar, Gum and soft Maple. It is around 2 years old and has not been covered. I brought some into the basement and noticed that a lot of it is punky. I don't remember it being that bad when I was stacking it. Could it rot that fast?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moshiersr

moshiersr New Member

Loc:
    Horseheads NY
    uncovered poplar goes to heck in a hurry, even if it is stacked... in two years it definitely could go punk..
  3. pyper

pyper New Member

Loc:
    Deep South
    Around here (I'm in the Upstate of SC too), any wood will start to rot in 2 years if you don't cover it -- 50+ inches of rain falling equally through the year (roughly an inch of rain every week) with humidity in the upper 80s most of the time...
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I burn all my sorftwood with in a year.
  5. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Here in central PA, softwood will last a long time if split and kept off the ground. There seems to be line, perhaps the Mason Dixon line, that separates the north and south from a wood storage point of view.
  6. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Here in so. calif., if I keep firewood off the ground, it will prolly last forever or at least 'till I burn it. Don't even have to cover it 'less it's gonna rain and I plan to burn the wood within a few days. If something isn't in contact w/ moisture in these parts, it doesn't rot, it petrifies (or seems to).

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Keep it up off the ground and the top of the pile covered and it will last for years. Otherwise, use it up fast or it will turn punky rather quickly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.