1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

how long for soft wood to season?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by sadworld, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadworld

sadworld New Member

Loc:
    tri cities michigan by sag. bay
    i'm wondering if soft woods such as popple and soft maple would be seasoned enough to burn next season if i get them cut, split and stacked by this spring or early summer?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    Never heard of popple, but silver maple will season pretty quickly.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I will season soft maple for 90-120 days resplitt it stack it in the garage next to the wood furance for another 10-14 days and burns very nice!So if your waiting til next season it will be ready!
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I've never heard of maple referred to as soft wood. Even maple that isn't hard/ or sugar maple is not really soft wood.

If it's stacked in early spring it will burn come Oct. if left in the sun and wind.

Matt
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    silver maple or some call it rock maple is considerd softwood with 20 million btu per cord is very high for softwood. I burn it 80 percent of the time.(it pops and krakles like hard woods as well)
  6. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts

There are hard maples and soft maples. Hard maples put out a little less heat than oak, soft maples put out a little more heat than pine. Sugar maple is a hard maple.
  7. RedRanger

RedRanger New Member

Loc:
    British Columbia
    Matt: you are correct. If anyone goggles maple? All maple is referred to as "hardwood". Just some maples are much harder and others much softer--but all are hardwoods.

Big leaf maple is ready to go in approx 8 months after being split and stacked in the sun and wind.

Douglas fir is even quicker at 6 months.
  8. webfoot

webfoot New Member

Loc:
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Does the silver maple burn clean? A friend has a big silver maple I can have if i cut it down. Is it worth it,Is it like burning poppler?
    Webfoot
  9. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    It'll burn just fine. Even poplar will burn.

Free wood is free wood, what ever type it is. It'll keep you and your family warm.

I was referring to softwoods such as pine, etc.

Soft Maple isn't s a soft wood. It's not as dense as sugar (rock) maple, but it sure as heck isn't soft wood.

Now poplar is a fun wood since it is a hardwood, but is pretty soft! Yellow pine is a soft wood, but works pretty nice for a handtool bench. It's plenty hard. Trying to bore a nice hole through old yellow pine can be a bugger.

Isn't wood fun?

Matt
  10. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    Last winter I burned a lot of silver maple. It burns hot, but it burns fast. It cuts easy and it splits easy too.
    I had five big ones in the yard, I now have three. I had to cut one down last fall, because it had big branches hanging over the garage. I still have a big pile of logs up there that needs cut and split. If the maple you're talking about has shaggy bark like this, it's silver maple.
    [​IMG]
  11. sadworld

sadworld New Member

Loc:
    tri cities michigan by sag. bay
    the maple i have is a smoother bark... and it's growing in bunches that come together at the base. mostly growing in low wet areas.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Both of those will be ready for next fall as long as you get them cut and split. We burn a lot of soft maple but will leave the popple to you. lol

For the others, technically, any tree that drops its leaves in the fall is a hardwood. However, those who work with timber have a different set of rules. Yes, there is a soft maple and a hard maple and popple is also softwood to us.

Sadworld, while you are cutting that soft maple, cut some just a little short; like around 12" and then split it into about 1" square pieces as it makes excellent kindling. It starts quickly, burns hot and fast. We always keep a good supply of that on hand.
  13. Chief Ryan

Chief Ryan New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I have one of those in my backyard. Around here it's also called a swamp maple.
  14. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    technically speaking, any tree that has leaves as opposed to needles is a hard wood... but some are way less dense that they are refered to as soft wood. I have some boxelder that I cut this year, same time as some sugar maple. The box is bone dry, where the maple is still not 100% seasoned. Hell, I have some box that I am burning now that was cut in late july that is burning as we speak!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.