How long for wood to go from 25 % to 20% moisture in ct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassmantweed

Nov 22, 2013
Avon, CT
Hello all,

New guy here. Decided i wanted a new fireplace insert late in the season. I am a wood stove guy but thats not an option for me right now. My stove is a lopi large flush high effenciey. They reccomend not burning wood above 20% moisture.

I was able to find some wood and it was delivered but the moisture content is around 25 - 30% moisture. I have it stacked and covered. Can i expect it to dry out now that the cold weather is here? If so how long can i expect to wait?

I live in ct.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I'm right around your area and in a similar boat. I've gathered plenty of wood through scrounging this year, but my wood with acceptable MC content will run out before the season ends.. I will be buying 1 cord from a local dealer I've worked with in past years to get me through the season.

To address your question, from all I've heard what you have now (especially the 30% stuff) won't be ready this season. Maybe some of the 25% stuff will be ready toward the end of the burn season. If you can find a supply that's dryer that would be best, and then you can save what you have for next year. I'd be happy to send you my contact via PM if you'd like.

Last edited:
What kind of wood was delivered?

It was a mix of oak, maple cherry & ash. There are a few pieces of birch mixxed in. Its really good wood in great shape just a little damp.

I stacked it about 7x7x4 and brought some into my garage, its covered on the top and about 12" down the sides all around to facilitate airflow. The bummer is that i had it delivered on friday and it snowed on it before i could stack it so now its wet and has snow all over it. I knocked off what i could but there is still some sticking to it.

IMO....the Ash will be the quickest to season.....some say cut, split, and burn.......but my personal feeling is to check it in about 2 months if it already down to 25%.......otherwise I like to give Ash a full year....again, my rookie opinion

I would think your readings would vary among the different species, like Beer Belly said the ash will season quickest, I would check that separately now and see what the reading is, if that's 25-30 maybe by the end of the year. Your best bet is to take Bill up on his offer and check out his wood guy, its hard to find truly seasoned wood from dealers but I've found some when I've been in a bind in the past.
You can probably burn the 25% if you mix in some cut up pallets or eco bricks or another compressed wood product.
Save what you have for next year and try to get 2-3 years ahead and you'll never have another wood problem.

I am insatlling a Hampton H1300 this week end and I live In Canton Ct. The main reason for installing the stove was because I have so much firewood on my property. I have about 20 to 25 dead or nearly dead ash trees on my property. Two fell in october and I cut down a 3rd. They have been cut and split since late october and covered by a tarp. I am hoping I could burn them this season. I think I am getting a moisture meter for christmas which will be a big help. Last weekend I took down a tree wit almost no bark on it, when it hit the ground it shattered, very dry I cut, split and stacked it and i think this is the wood I am going to start with, but i have no idea what it is. maybe ash?

Im hoping the ash should be able to burn this year. I also cut split and stacked about 1/2 cord of red oak that came down in the october 2011 storm but after reading here I think that I have to wait another year to use it.

So after all this typing i guess my question is, can you burn dead ash trees immediately? I could go in the woods behind my house and come out with a cord or two that is already on the ground ( as long as my neighbor lets me take them)

So after all this typing i guess my question is, can you burn dead ash trees immediately
Depends, parts of the tree might still have a lot of moisture in it (30% or so) but the limbs might be good to go.

in my limited experience... my wood doesn't seem to season much in the winter time. i keep the cords stacked in 15'x6' rows with 2' between them for good ventilation, cover only the top with the tarp to promote air to pass through it. my solution to less then perfect wood (which i used to deal with my first few years burning) has been to move about a weeks worth of wood into the garage on a rack. garage has a stove but it only runs a day or two a week. from the garage i keep at least a 2 day supply in the house near the stove. its not a perfect solution, but it seemed to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.