How long on a fresh Chain ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
any new chain is going to stretch so make sure you adjust accordingly. On average I would say you will be resharpening every hour or so, at least I do..Every time I take a break I sharen it up, much loess wear and tear on a saw using a sharp chain and your back for that matter. it only takes 5 minutes to do. Buy yourself a chain guide, much quicker. husquvarna has one that works well.

My Dolmar has a full chisel chain and the logs were dirty - it dulled quick.

My Echo saw had a semi or safety chain and it went for two days without needing a touch up. I got the files and guide and spare chains. Until I get good at it, I will simply change chains and keep cutting and touch them up at home at night.

take you longer to witch the chains out than simply sharpening them on the spot

How many times do you run the file (4 times) on each tooth? It's new to me. I guess after time - I will get better at it. Do you just use the round file or do you use the flat file with a depth gage too?

3-4 thats it. I use the round file. You only need to do the depth after a dozen or so sharpenings, once the rakers get higher than the cutting teeth you should file them down.
Check out husquvarnas website and goto how to sharpen a chain. You need to get the sharpening guide..Husky makes a complete kit that is prfect. Get the stump vise so you can ahve your saw secure..ITs perfect.

basswidow said:
My Dolmar has a full chisel chain and the logs were dirty - it dulled quick.

My Echo saw had a semi or safety chain and it went for two days without needing a touch up. I got the files and guide and spare chains. Until I get good at it, I will simply change chains and keep cutting and touch them up at home at night.

These are not synonymous. I use skip-tooth round-bit chains, which is not a safety chain.

I dunno, maybe I have the record. Last year I fired up my little Poulon 14" with a brand new chain on it and went out to start ripping out a large expanse of 30-y/o cedar decking. Plan was to cut all the way along both sides of the joists and save all the old planking for kindling. Careful as I was trying to be, about 30 seconds into the job I hit an invisbly toenailed nail, and that was it for that brand new chain. There was no saving it. I changed methods and still have about 1/4 cord of bone-dry cedar 2"x6"'s cut to length. They really do make for some wonderful kindling. Chains hate nails. Rick

basswidow said:
Well - I am a first time chainsaw owner. I just bought a Dolmar 5100 with a 20 inch bar and I love it. After cutting 29 rounds, the chain's gone dull. I am going to point it up with a saw file per the manual and I will buy a couple more chains as spares to get ready for next weekend.

I would imagine hardwoods dull a chain quicker than soft woods? I cut 20 (soft wood) and 9 red oak (hard). Is that a normal amount to dull the chain? Or did I get alittle frozen crud and dirt to dull it? The Oak was at a construction site and some of it had frozen debris on it. I was surprized it went dull so quick. I thought I could get a whole day in and fill my truck. I must have dulled the chain somehow?

With a fresh chain, how much wood can you cut - (hardwoods like oak)? There's a good 2 cords of hardwood that I left behind - that I want to get this saturday and sunday.

This is the first time I've ever cut and split firewood. It's enjoyable. Too cold for me to fish, so scrounging for wood, cutting it, hauling it and splitting it - is fun. There's something nice about the crisp cold woods and the sound of turkey's down along the creek and bottom land calling to each other. The sound of the maul when it strikes the wood - echo's down the hallow at my house. It's really fun.

So - what's the run life on a sharp fresh chain ?
Any tips to sharpening?
Any splittin tips? I've got a sledge and wedges for the big rounds. I am also going to make me a short platform with a tire - to aid in splitting - keeps you from having to keep proping the pieces up. What about this Fiskar axe? Any particular maunal splitting devise that is a must have?
I change the chain when the saw dust starts getting very fine. how long? Just watch your chips turn into dust

Eventually you'll be able to tell by looking at the chips you generate.

Rectangular chips the width of the chain are the ideal. When they are looking like saw dust you need a sharpening.

When you touch up with the round file, always file away from you.

1-2 seconds of cutting rocks or dirt at full speed wears about as much as a full day of cutting clean wood.

Great tips - thanks all.

So the chips tell alot.

Wish this spring weather would cooperate. Do you all cut in the rain?

basswidow said:
Great tips - thanks all.

So the chips tell alot.

Wish this spring weather would cooperate. Do you all cut in the rain?
Yes sir summer will be here quick and it just gets harder in hot weather (helment and chaps help keep you dry)

Status
Not open for further replies.