1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How long should a gasket last

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Boom Stick, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    What is the life span of a normal gasket on an insert/stove? What would ruin one and what are the signs that they need to be changed? Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Longevity varies greatly.

If it fails the dollar bill test or if it is falling apart, it should be replaced.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I would look and see what your manual says for changing it and make sure to buy a good quality tight woven gasket for the stove. They tend to last longer and seal much better in my experience. You will usually know its time to adjust or replace if the stove is getting hard to control and the secondary is raging away no matter the air setting. You will have to determine for your self if it is time to replace by doing the dollar bill test and checking to see how the gasket looks as BB said.

Pete
  4. Fod01

Fod01 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Long Island
    The dollar bill test may only indicate that a latch adjustment is required. If it fails on the hinge side, or is brittle/ crumbling as stated above, then replace.

Gabe
  5. Mackj

Mackj New Member

Loc:
    Fruitport MI
    I am not claiming to be a pro but I just did my first gasket replacement. It was 3 seasons old and I had been adjusting the door and doing the dollar bill test until the adjustment was maxed out. It was easy to see it needed adjustment when the air control did not respond as well as it should.

I bought the appropriate rope and glue. Pulled out the old rope, cleaned the channel with a flat screwdriver followed with a Dremel tool. I got that channel spotless, spread a even layer of glue, layed in the gasket. It works perfect, I am pleased with my first attempt. It was not that hard.
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We're into our sixth season with the Fireview and doing fine. Our previous stove had the gaskets replaced somewhere between 15-20 years.