How long should my new insert burn before reloading?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I recently purchased a new "Flame" wood burning insert (made by SBI ). The manufacturer says 10 hr. burn on low with seasoned hardwood. My retailer and installer said "realistically, 7-8 hr." I have found that after loading full at 11:30 P.M. , there will still be a pretty good coal bed present at 7 A.M. with the thermostatically controlled blower still 'on'. Is anyone familiar with this model (1.9-I ) or a comparable stove. It has a 2.3 cu. ft. firebox. Any input would be GREAT!! Thanx!

How long until reload is a wide open question. Realize that manufacturer specs are under ideal conditions with perfectly dry wood; usually kiln dried so keep that in mind.

How long of a burn you will get depends first upon the fuel you burn. For example, if you burn some of the softer woods like, say, popple, pine, bass, cottonwood or something similar you can expect a short burn. However, if you burn oak or hickory or something similar you will get a much longer burn cycle. It also depends hugely upon how dry that wood is. If you purchase your wood, do not expect it to be very dry no matter what what the seller says. If you do purchase your wood, then for sure you need a minimum of a 2 year supply of wood on hand in order to give the wood the proper time to dry enough to give you the good fire and longer burn times.

Simply put, if you burn less than ideal wood, you need to have the draft open further which pushes more heat up the chimney rather than into your home. Less than ideal wood will require you to do this though. If you read much on this forum you will read plenty of times how people finally see the light and are amazed at how much better their heating goes when they have good dry wood.

Good luck.

Thanks, Savage. I c/s/s my own. Mostly oak and maple. Its been drying, top covered, for about a year, and most is down to 18-22% MC inside a fresh split. I wish it were closer to 15%, but were having a wet fall so far and the ambient humidity is holding the MC up a tad. Its all good, tho. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my new non-cat insert, seeing that I've been burning a VC Dutchwest Cat for 20 yrs. Any advice is happily taken! P.S.- I havn't met a "firewood dealer" that didnt lie about their "seasoned" "cords" in all my 40 yrs. What a bunch of schiesters we have around her on L.I.!.....( or should I say L.I.E.?)

Status
Not open for further replies.