How long till this Ash falls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siray13

Dec 22, 2014
Wisconsin
My parents neighbors have had quotes to have this Ash tree taken down but my guess is this tree would be 6-8k to cut down and they don't have the money. The crack seems to keep growing. I've got my saw on stand by for when it does finally come crashing down.

If it does fall, it looks like the right side would split off - which would be fine with me, if the left side splits off it's going to crush my parents 3 car garage/workshop. How long do you think it can stand for? Do you think there's a chance it could split to the left?

Attachments

• IMG_2824.JPG
    IMG_2824.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2825.JPG
    IMG_2825.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 480
Know idea how long . But I would check to see
if your parents have insurance and if the neighbor
has the same .

Reactions: bfitz3
That tree is dead, is splitting and if it falls will do some serious damage to property. If I am seeing it right, I would borrow money from a bank if need be to get that tree down. A big wind storm might finish splitting that thing out, you never know. I am guessing that tree would be about 1000 bucks around here to get it down in a big pile....

Wrap a chain and come along around it. Or two.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
The emerald ash borer has killed the tree (woodpeckers are sounding the tree for larve, thus the orangish sloughed bark above the split). For a normal ash (we've had EAB mortality in my area now for four years), the upper branches drop after roughly two years and things get soft and risky around year three. Ash, unfortunately, rots very quickly.
As a forester, I can tell you with certainty that the split crotch is very bad news, especially if it is spreading further. Ash splits easily, and that crotch really could split at any time. The wood rots so quickly that it probably won't be sound enough to hold much past two years from now (assuming, as mentioned above, that wind or ice doesn't take it down sooner).

Tree removal is costly and many tree companies are not wild about climbing dead ash since the smaller limbs tend to rot quickly and the upper branches tend to die first with EAB damage (thus, they're probably a year into rotting). Would you consider renting a boom lift so you can get up there and start cutting from the top down? Maybe you could get it cut down enough that you or someone you trust would feel comfortable dropping one or both sides?

Reactions: Jeffm1
I've taken down 13 ash trees on my property in the last 3 years. I've also also allowed several others (that were not a danger to homes or people) to fall on their own.

That tree is dead and needs to come down. Someone could be seriously injured if it falls on it's own. The longer you wait, the more it will cost, because it gets more dangerous as time passes.

I agree with everything said so far the major problem that we have is that this is not our tree. If it was it would have been down two years ago. We are covered on our side if it takes out the garage but it's just unfortunate the home owner does not have more urgency to do something.

6-8k is absurd! Don't know who gave you that price but their out to lunch! Definitely take down asap.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I agree with everything said so far the major problem that we have is that this is not our tree. If it was it would have been down two years ago. We are covered on our side if it takes out the garage but it's just unfortunate the home owner does not have more urgency to do something.
Yes but your insurance will go after theirs to recoup their costs. I would still discuss with them that their insured! Also you may be able to file a complaint with local ordinance or bylaw compliance, seeing as it's a safety issue. That may get the ball rolling but could also sour the relationship between neighbours.

I wonder if their insurance would pay to have it cut down?
Maybe it varies from state to state, but in many places if you notify a neighbor in writing that their tree is compromised in some way and threatening your property, then they can be held responsible if there's damage.

Insurance will not pay for that. Also insurance will not cover them if it's determined the tree was diseased or dead, however you'd be covered. Source: brother in law is an insurance agent, I asked Him about this situation out of curiousity.

Might not bring the cost down much but I've had luck with asking who ever cut my trees down to just put it on the ground in as big of chunks that is safe for them to handle up high. I saved $200 off a $600 bill by telling the tree company to just put it on the ground and I'd clean it up.

Obviously the cost in that tree would be the liability/property damage issue but it might save a few bucks.

I had an ash with the same crack at my last house, however it was in the woods and wasn't going to fall on buildings. Rain would get in the crack and freeze making more damage every winter / freeze thaw cycle. The boom truck idea rental might be the safest and most cost effective solution. Get it down soon.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

I would rent an articulating boom lift and start at the top. Drop it in small pieces to prevent any damage to surrounding property. Here in MI it would cost ~$500 to rent the boom lift for the weekend. Lots of good firewood in that tree.

No one can tell you how long that will stay up...don't ask that question or listen to anyone that attempts to answer it.

Get quotes asap.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Can you come up with a plan - then split costs with the neighbor?

That really needs to come down, ASAP.

You are likely legally entitled to cut down what hangs over the property line - but that might not solve much, can't tell how much is over, from the pics. And just going ahead & doing something unilaterally would likely cause bad relations.

Would the neighbors consent to just letting you get it taken down however you can? It would save them a lot of money & trouble if so. You'd be out money, but if you get to keep the wood that might take some of the sting out - and you'd be out a lot less than if it comes down.

A pretty sticky situation.

I know exactly when it will fall. It will fall precisely two days before you are all set to take it down as dictated by Murphey's law.

Can you come up with a plan - then split costs with the neighbor?

That really needs to come down, ASAP.

You are likely legally entitled to cut down what hangs over the property line - but that might not solve much, can't tell how much is over, from the pics. And just going ahead & doing something unilaterally would likely cause bad relations.

Would the neighbors consent to just letting you get it taken down however you can? It would save them a lot of money & trouble if so. You'd be out money, but if you get to keep the wood that might take some of the sting out - and you'd be out a lot less than if it comes down.

A pretty sticky situation.
Why should op have to pay anything. If it were me I wouldn't pay a damn cent as it's not on my property.

So I just reread the OP and realized that the tree IS the neighbors. I agree with jb6l6gc, I wouldn't pay a dime. Either tell the neighbor it's going to be a hell of an insurance claim or tell them to take it down.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Why should op have to pay anything. If it were me I wouldn't pay a damn cent as it's not on my property.

Well, no, he doesn't have to.

But it might get the process going, if an offer was made to help with costs.

Sometimes maintaining good relations with your neighbors (and saving all the hassles that would arise if it did come down and cause damage) is worth a few bucks out of pocket up front.

Reactions: DoubleB
I'd call someone for a rough estimate to come in for half a day with an aerial boom and just drop it all. Instead of listening to hearsay or exaggerated prices.
Chipper and two guys for that would be extra.
But a couple guys to just drop it might be $700-$800.00
Or less.
Offer $85-$100 a cord for the firewood to help defray the costs.
Or at least for the wood on their side.
That's log load price here.
There must be 2 cords in that tree unless it is rotten in the trunk as well.

I paid $800 to have a red oak tree with a crack in it taken down. In pieces with an aerial boom and a climber and a couple guys on the ground guiding and chipping. I got 3+ cords of primo red oak out of it. I would have gotten more if they hadn't chipped such big branches.
Works out to $266 a cord plus my time cutting to length and splitting. Green red oak locally is $225-275/cord depending on supply/demand.

It might have been said already but have the neighbors even been made aware? Have you talked to them about it either way? If they don't pay attention to those kinds of things then they may not even know that it's as serious as it is. They might not even know that tree is dead.

Looks like you are'nt just neighbors, but share a driveway. Also, assuming their insurance will pay to repair your garage, you'll never be compensated for the first rate PITA you'll suffer through in getting the garage fixed. Look into what it would take to rent a boom truck, talk to your neighbor, split the costs somehow with you keeping the wood, and maybe having them be responsible for clearing snow from the driveway or something.

The cost of an unhappy relationship with a neighbor that close can't be over estimated.

Personally, I'd rather be out $500 than be angry at my neighbors for 10+ years until they move.

Looks like you are'nt just neighbors, but share a driveway. Also, assuming their insurance will pay to repair your garage, you'll never be compensated for the first rate PITA you'll suffer through in getting the garage fixed. Look into what it would take to rent a boom truck, talk to your neighbor, split the costs somehow with you keeping the wood, and maybe having them be responsible for clearing snow from the driveway or something.

The cost of an unhappy relationship with a neighbor that close can't be over estimated.

Personally, I'd rather be out $500 than be angry at my neighbors for 10+ years until they move.
Idk from op's post I think neighbours know theirs an issue and don't care to deal with it. I'd possibly make a random call to city bylaw officials

Status
Not open for further replies.