How long to dry these chunks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I split some cut offs from a maple tree about 2 weeks ago. The tree had been live (based on how wet it was when I split). I've stored them off of the ground. My neighbor asked if he could have some and I told him that they weren't dry. I had planned on using them next spring for shoulder season wood. (I'll move them into covered storage over the winter).
So the quesiton is, how long do you think these will take to dry? My neighbor wants them for firepit fires this fall (October and November). Will they be dry? I'm thinking yes.

Attachments

• CIMG2321.JPG
    CIMG2321.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 760
  • CIMG2322.JPG
    CIMG2322.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 763
jdinspector said:
I split some cut offs from a maple tree about 2 weeks ago. The tree had been live (based on how wet it was when I split). I've stored them off of the ground. My neighbor asked if he could have some and I told him that they weren't dry. I had planned on using them next spring for shoulder season wood. (I'll move them into covered storage over the winter).
So the quesiton is, how long do you think these will take to dry? My neighbor wants them for firepit fires this fall (October and November). Will they be dry? I'm thinking yes.

You want at least 6 months if not longer.

Zap

If your neighbor only wants them for his fire pit, does it really matter if they're not completely dry?? You can give him some now and save the rest for your stove next season.

ksting said:
If your neighbor only wants them for his fire pit, does it really matter if they're not completely dry?? You can give him some now and save the rest for your stove next season.

If you have a good coal bed going those will probaly burn in a fire pit. They may be a little smokey for a while but the coals will get them going. If you have a stove for what you want to burn I would suggest splitting some of the bigger chunks again to get the best drying results. Smoke from wet wood in a stove means creosote.

You could burn it right now in a fire pit but I have no idea how well it would work. I would give some peices to your neighbor to try in the fire pit and see how they do, you will know right away how well they burn.

They'll burn right now. It'll be a little harder to light, and the fire will smoke, but that might not matter much for a campfire. I'd split each one several times for a campfire, particularly to get started. Split 'em now, leave them in the sun to dry, and they'll be campfire wood soon.

Leave the chunks as they are, burn them next year...

wood=heat (free heat)(cheat the gas man)

Jags said:
How long to dry these chunks?

6.3 months. (approximately)
sounds about right to me +-

With enough gasoline, anything burns in a fire pit. If you are worried about making it through the spring, they should be set aside for your stove instead of going up in smoke outside. They will be far better than anything you can buy in February or March.

Thanks all. I'm not too concerned about using them for my stove this fall, as I have plenty of other wood for personal use. I am really wondering if they're good for the the neighbor's fire pit. I know they'll burn in a fire pit, but the neighbor is a bit of a clod who doesn't know how to get a good hot fire going before he throws these in. I could see him struggling to get one of these things going with a fire starter. I'm sure he'll need some dry wood (from me!) to get his fire going good and hot. I'm sure that what's left will dry for next spring when I only need short fires in the stove.

As long as you have your needs met for the winter, give them to your neighbor and let him decide if they burned or not. At least he may invite you over for a beer or ten beside the camp fire.

SolarAndWood said:
With enough gasoline, anything burns in a fire pit. If you are worried about making it through the spring, they should be set aside for your stove instead of going up in smoke outside. They will be far better than anything you can buy in February or March.

No need for flammable and hazardous liquids . . . the secret weapon in the Arsonist Handbook is cardboard . . . you get a couple boxes in a brush pile or fire pit and you can get fresh cut wood going in no time . . . even in the rain . . . trust me on this one.

If you don't need the wood give him a few chunks and let him play . . . heck I have a few chunks I will be burning up next weekend as I have some folks camping at my place for the MOFGA Commonground Fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.