How many bags of pellets do you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Went through 5-6 ton's heating with my vogelzang 5790 the past 2 years. Heating 1100 Sq ft single level ranch with no basement. This will be the first year with my Harman p61 and I'm hoping for better results

Went through 5-6 ton's heating with my vogelzang 5790 the past 2 years. Heating 1100 Sq ft single level ranch with no basement. This will be the first year with my Harman p61 and I'm hoping for better results
You should have far better heat control.

I still seem to average 1.25-1.5 bags on room temp keeping it set at 70. Feed rate set at 3

Last winter I used 3 1/2 tons in my P68 and that was the only stove I ran all season since it was a fairly easy and mild winter last year for the most part. That's doing 2,350 SQ FT on two floors here in Northern KY. You get the same weather I do basically. I'm not real far from you and I bought my used PC45 right around where you live.

I have uncles with farms over and up your way. One is in Winchester, OH and the other is on over in Pike Co. Rarden is the last town you hit going out to his farm.

This winter has been fairly "normal" for here too. During the colder stuff you will use more but the average improves as it warms obviously. I should be somewhere between 3 1/2 - 4 tons this year too. I hope. I should if we do not have a real cold and ugly Jan.- Feb. So far,,,, So good. When it gets cold and stays cold I easily burn 2 + bags within 24 hours.

This stove is odd,last week when we got single digit Temps with 20 mph wind gust the stove used about a quarter of a bag more in 24 hours than it does on days like today when it's 35 degrees out.im not complaining because 1.75 bags in 24 hours when it's that cold is fine with me, it's just when it's in the 30s I can't get it to use less than 1.5 bags or so in 24 hours. My stove is a 2000 model so it had the non adjustable board for the combustion blower. I swapped in a new board and have it adjusted to -.35 in now but I also ordered the new 1.75a combustion blower because it's supposed to be more variable instead of just being on high or low like my current 1.5a one. Either way I needed to order one regardless because the guy I got it from said all the motors were original. But she's been ticking along just fine this winter

Interesting to see what other burn. I have a 1300 sq ft home. I'm using about a bag a day... Since the start of the burn season I've got about 5 bags left on the first pallet so far....I didn't think that was too bad. This is my first year with a stove and wasn't sure what to expect

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Interesting to see what other burn. I have a 1300 sq ft home. I'm using about a bag a day... Since the start of the burn season I've got about 5 bags left on the first pallet so far....I didn't think that was too bad. This is my first year with a stove and wasn't sure what to expect

What stove are you running?

Ussc 6041 second hand.... Paid $300 for it. Bought new in 2012 came with new board and auger motor. I jumped on it.

That's a good deal. I'll let Firepot and Bio and others answer the corn deal. I've burned a bit but not all season yet. I guess the main thing is that you get it cheaper then pellets. If so cheaper heat is good, Right? It is a little more work but if it's a lot cheaper than a ton of pellets then......

You can use the search also here. many discussions on burning corn here with Tips for it, Pros & Cons etc;

That's a good deal. I'll let Firepot and Bio and others answer the corn deal. I've burned a bit but not all season yet. I guess the main thing is that you get it cheaper then pellets. If so cheaper heat is good, Right? It is a little more work but if it's a lot cheaper than a ton of pellets then......

You can use the search also here. many discussions on burning corn here with Tips for it, Pros & Cons etc;
Yea this is my first year burning all electric running base boards were killing my bills. But I got a hell of a deal on pellets. I bout 6 tons for $26 a ton it was their last years stock and wanted them gone so I filled up my garage with them at that price and all is good. Only had like 10 bad bags out of 6 pallet loads.

Is corn better to burn?
Ohio is the eastern area of the corn belt and if the conditions are right you should be able to buy corn for around $100/T
The 6041 is a knockoff of the first true corn stove and should have no issue burning corn and you should get a boost in the heat output depending on how feed rates are controlled. I get a double savings as I only have to go 2 miles to get corn and over 20 miles one way to get pellets. Now the hassle of cleaning and drying the corn proper yes. Pellets are bagged and have a trip to get them at usually around $200/T plus gas and time so the corn at todays prices I am saving $100T

Reactions: jcwilliams
Is corn better to burn?

For me it's a no brainer. I get mine from a farmer that has contracts all over the mid-west for delivery. He has his own dries, elevators and semi's to haul it. Extremely clean, dried to 12% or better. I pull under the chute, pull a lever, in two minutes I have a ton in my pickup. Get home vacuum it out into IBC totes for storage and am ready to go for the winter. It takes about 8 easy hours for the 30 mile round trip, vacuuming the corn. I could do it a lot faster, and do when the weather is cold or bad but I'm almost 60 so I can lolly gag around. :)

If you can find a farmer that has driers and is willing to sell it to you by bulk prices that's the way to go. If you have a large shopvac you can easily build a vacuum to move/clean the corn. Storage is also needed to make buying in bulk worth it. I see the IBC totes on Craigs list all the time pretty cheap, but if you really look around most large farms are happy to get rid of them if you haul them.

For you to burn it, the board in the 6041 is almost the same as mine and can be adjusted to burn pellets, corn or a mix. I run clinker style and never had luck burning 100% corn with an agitator. Many others have done it no problem, I just never had luck. I could mix the corn but with the price so low and the better heat I decided to make a clinker pot and go that route.

If you decide to do it, PM me and I'll try and walk you through how to adjust the HR and DF settings within each HR and DF so that you can run the stove on Auto and not have to mess with any manual adjustments. It takes a little tweaking but is well worth it in the long run.

Oh, did I say, I love CORN!!

Yea this is my first year burning all electric running base boards were killing my bills. But I got a hell of a deal on pellets. I bout 6 tons for $26 a ton it was their last years stock and wanted them gone so I filled up my garage with them at that price and all is good. Only had like 10 bad bags out of 6 pallet loads.

$26 bucks a ton is unreal. You basically got 6 tons for less than most pay for 1 ton. $26 a ton is the best score on pellets I've seen yet.

$26 bucks a ton is unreal. You basically got 6 tons for less than most pay for 1 ton. $26 a ton is the best score on pellets I've seen yet.
Yea at the local tractor supply . they had a crap ton of it and put sign out for $26 I got all I could fit lol

Yea at the local tractor supply . they had a crap ton of it and put sign out for $26 I got all I could fit lol

Which pellets or what brand did you get for $26 / ton?

Which pellets or what brand did you get for $26 / ton?
Ozark is the brand. af4b155def7580edd12522a9b9da74a6.jpg

Reactions: bags
So, to end out 2016, I have used 107 bags so far this season.

Built the log home 1990-91 ourselves, 28x40 two story, upstairs is 1/2 one big bed room and 1/4 + loft open to living below. Roof is 4x8 panels, 5/8 OSB on top, 5/8 Pine V groove bottom, 3.5" solid foam block bonded between. 4 Ceiling fans, VC Reliant on hearth I built since 1992. Kitch and two BRs down stairs, basement in ground 3 sides, forth protected enclosed patio where trike is kept .... so basement stays warmer in winter and cooler in summer than it did at first. Main heat is Air Handler and Hi Eff fast recovery water heater vents through plastic to outside.

First winter used main heat. Next year, I install Vermont Castings Reliant Pellet stove using outside air and vented through side wall with tee and 15 feet up est to cap in wind. Most years, we used 3 to 3.5 tons a year of Hamer's prem hardwood pellets, tried others, not so good. One year, especially cold, I bought a extra ton and ended up with near a ton in storage out in the shed.

We recently started supplementing with three small infared radiant heaters when home. I used just about 2 tons pellets last year, just started burning them this year about mid December. Average I guess about a bag a day, seldom ever run stove higher than 10 o'clock, usually about 9 does it. Really cold, might crank to 10:30 ish. I'll likely get another ton in February. My house T-stat down hall on 1st floor is set at 62, wall thermometer says 70 so heat is not coming on. it's 30 outside now. Back bedrooms down stairs usually run high 60s, we keep them closed if really cold out.

VermontCastingsRelianceclose.jpg

My last load of pellets ran about $245 for the ton set on my truck.

110215%20a%20ton%20loaded%20at%20frt%20leveled%2077%20%20800x492_zpshzgsat3w.jpg