how many BTU's?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabguy01

Sep 1, 2008
Ravenna Michigan
Just got done with my latest test burn. Went from 67 deg. to 180 deg in 2 hours 10 minutes. whats the calculation to figure this? how does this compare with you gasser guys?

I believe a BTU is the energy to raise 1lb of water 1 degree fahrenheit. U.S. gallon weighs about 8.35lbs. Time is only important if you want BTU's per hour, which would then give you very good info on meeting your house needs.

I think this is right. Someone will chime in if I am wrong.

Robby

Sounds like you are really happy with your home-brew system. Pride well deserved. Your question, however, is impossible to answer from the data provided. For example: 1) how many gal of water; 2) where was the temp measured (boiler supply/top of boiler, bottom of boiler, etc.); 3) how many lbs of wood were burned, 4) was this a static heat test of the boiler (no water circulation) or was the boiler supplying heat; 5) was your entire 1000 gal of storage, top to bottom, at 180F; 6) probably a lot more.

jebatty said:
Sounds like you are really happy with your home-brew system. Pride well deserved. Your question, however, is impossible to answer from the data provided. For example: 1) how many gal of water; 2) where was the temp measured (boiler supply/top of boiler, bottom of boiler, etc.); 3) how many lbs of wood were burned, 4) was this a static heat test of the boiler (no water circulation) or was the boiler supplying heat; 5) was your entire 1000 gal of storage, top to bottom, at 180F; 6) probably a lot more.
sorry forgot to say that I havent got the storage plumbed in yet. This was just a test of the new air supply system, I went to a negitive pressure system like a garn. The boiler its self is 265 gal and stays quite stratified, was filled about half Approx 6 splits of popular 4 splits of white pine and two of oak. I know this is prob still not enough info , but I will need to do another test today or tomarrow after I revamp the heat exchanger to try to get my stack temps down, at one point during the last burn they hit 625 I would like to see them no higher than 450-500

Status
Not open for further replies.