How many major m wood stove manufactures sell in USA?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Prior to the EPA there were 550 know stove manufactures howmany are left today?

Does any one know the amount od stoves installed and in use in USA using wood and pellets or coal?

Another question of the wood stoves does anyone know how many are EPA ot not?

I bet the HPBA (don't know if correct acronym) has some numbers.

tw40x81 said:
It is interesting to see the EPA certification expiration dates on the current crop of stoves. Why would an EPA certification expire anyway, if the stove doesn't change?

Just a guess, their requirements change? I would assume that they change their requirements as technology dictates.

prior to the EPA 550 stove manufactures were listed. Today 18 plus/minus

I'm sure it's much tougher and more expensive to take a stove from concept through research, design, testing and EPA certification with the current regulations.

Seems to have turned manufacturing and distributing stoves in the USA into a nationwide operation rather than a local one. I'm sure many of the original 550+ were local shops with a guy who could weld like nobodys business and a good basic design. They probably produced and sold locally to meet demand. Now add the expense of certification, not to mention the technical aspects, and it doesn't pay to produce a handfull of stoves per year for a local market.

I'm not saying that EPA requirements and certification are a bad (or good) thing, that would be another topic. I'm just speculating on the drop in the number of manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.