1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

how much are you burning

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by rmcgr8one, Nov 27, 2012.

1. rmcgr8one

rmcgr8one New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    I just got my stove a week ago and was wondering how much you are burning. I live in a older house but am only. heating a smaller area of 900 squars feet. Lately it has been in the 20s at night and 30s during the day. I know that my house is not the best when it comes to insula
    tion. I am running the stove on auto with the blower low and temperture around 68 and going though 2 bags a day Running 24/7 . Is something wrong here?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Most likely you have already determined the cause of poor heating....."I know that my house is not the best when it comes to insulation."

However, since you haven't told us what stove you have or what pellets you're burning, hard for us to come up w/ any other reasons.

It helps if you put your stove info into your signature line, or even in the thread title.
  3. rmcgr8one

rmcgr8one New Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Harman p35i and am buring GS until my Vermonts show up.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Do something about that insulation, air leaks, and windows, it will make a huge difference.
    kinsmanstoves likes this.
  5. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    If you haven't done it already, click on the link in my signature and read it all. It's great info and a must read for a new Harman owner. We need a little more info. Are you running room temp or stove temp? What do you have the feed rate set to? Set it to 4 and forget it. You say you are running in auto 24/7. Why are you only running the fan on low? If you are using 2 bags a day with the blower on low you might be sending some of that heat right out the exhaust. let us know.
  6. jvanase

jvanase New Member

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I have no insights about your Harmon, but to simply answer the original question I've been burning about 2 bags per day here in CT. I'm heating roughly 3600 sq ft in total across 3 floors. So for the space you are heating, 2 bags does sound like a lot.

It's helpful to compare BTU's to see if it's reasonable. If you were burning fuel oil before, 2 bags is approximately equal to 4.5 gallons of oil, or roughly half of a 275 gallon tank per month. Keep in mind, your furnace (or baseboard or whatever) distributes heat very differently than a pellet stove, so it's not a straight 1:1 comparison.
  7. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Been burning 1.5 bags a day...heating 2000+ sq feet. Just had some air sealing and insulation done....HUGE difference
  8. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    I'm heating 1500 square feet or so all on one level. I'm burning one bag a day.
  9. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Ceiling height, heater location etc make a differance too. Just had a minor cold snap, 18 for high, 9 low with some winds over 40 and I went up to 60lbs a day. Stove set to 73, high blower speed,4 for feed.
  10. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Set the thermostat and keep filling the hopper, do not sweat the small stuff. Insulation, sealing windows and doors, and ceiling fans can be your friend or worst enemy if you do not have them.

Eric
  11. bbfarm

bbfarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    wisconsin
    About 1.5 bags a day.

Heating about 1900 sq feet, 9' ceilings, 2 story 142 year old farm house.

We just switched to the good pellets now, so the BTU's will be higher
  12. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Averaging 1 bag a day right now.
  13. ducker

ducker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Leominster, MA
    i'm at 1 bag a day. kinda surprised that I'm at that lvl already.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    About a bag and a half here too! Near 2K sqft. Temps are kept to a toasty 72ºF.
  15. russ79@hotmail.com

russ79@hotmail.com Member

Loc:
    saratoga, ny
    running around a bag a day maybe a little less. I heat the whole house, about 900 feet. The insulation and windows make a big difference, I spent $1500 on insulation after my first year and cut my usage from 4 ton to 2-2.5 tons a season.
    The Ds likes this.
  16. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Bag and a half.1900 sq feet. Two floors nice and warm.
  17. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    1 1/2 bags per day of box store stuff. 2200 sqf @73 deg. Your usage is high but if it's going out the windows it will be. Do what you can insulation wise, get that plastic stuff for the windows and see if it changes. Good luck.
  18. RWB1

RWB1 Member

Loc:
    STILLWATER, NY
    2 stoves....1.5 bags a day 24/7 in the basement stove....living room stove approx. 1 bag a week. Temps are low 20's @ night here and the basement stove keeps the house about 70 on low. 2200 sf split level
  19. Curve

Curve New Member

Loc:
    Central, MA
    About 1.5 bags per day. Heating about 1,900 sq ft on 2 floors. Not a very well insulated house, so I'm sure I am using more than I need to.
  20. teetah222

teetah222 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    WA state
    I'm heating an 1100 sq ft house with about 1 bag per day right now. Temps are averaging 45 degrees outside the last couple of weeks. I don't really think it's that much about the brand of pellets (they help, don't get me wrong), but you can't have 0 insulation and expect not to use up pellets. Case in point, my house was 62 degrees inside when I came home tonight (let the fire go out since it needed cleaning). 3 hours later it's warmed up to about 70 where the stove is. So, for a 900 sq ft house you should be way lower than 1.5 bags a day... :(
  21. TheMightyMoe

TheMightyMoe Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska.
    I'm heating 1.8k square feet at -20 to -30 using 2 to 2.5 bags a day. However my home is well insulated, and the flow favors the stove.
  22. midfielder

midfielder Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    Low temps running 15 to 20, highs in the mid to upper 30s; 2k sq. ft. +/-. Keeping house at 70 deg. burning about 1.5 bags/day shoulders. Not into the good stuff yet.
  23. AkOriginal

AkOriginal New Member

Loc:
    Interior AK
    Roughly 2 to 2.5 bags a day heating 1300 square feet. I should probably mention that its currently -35 at my house here in Alaska :)
  24. AkOriginal

AkOriginal New Member

Loc:
    Interior AK
    My P68 seems to handle it just fine right now but that might be a different story if my wife gets the addition to the house she has been planning!
  25. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I'm burning a bag to a bag and a half of McFeeters keeping the house (about 1800 sq ft.) at 74 degrees during the day and 68 between 11pm and 4am.
    Way too hot but my mother in law lives with me.