how much ash before emptying

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead

Jan 18, 2013
Williamson, GA
We just got our Z42 installed a couple of weeks ago so I'm still learning new things almost daily. Question for today is how much ash do you typically allow to accumulate before you start emptying? I understand that you want to try keeping a nice bed of coals but ours (along with a lot of ash) is almost to the bottom of our doors. We have been trying to keep the fire going as much as possible so it doesn't take long before we have quite a bit in there. I emptied some a week ago while everything was still hot but didn't care doing it with so much heat. With so much ash, we are unable to load as much as the unit can hold so overnight burns are a real challenge.

I shovel out a couple shovel loads of ash every couple of days so it never builds up, I just push the big coals to the back and it leaves just black ash in front. If it gets really warm I'll let it burn down quite a bit and take all but one inch but by doing a couple shovels every day or every other day it doesn't give it a chance to build up to much.

When ours gets to the bottom of the door, we take out most of the ash, leaving behind and chunks....usually every third day when burning 24/7

I let it go until I can't fit the amount of wood I want to in. Stir your coals every time you load and it lets the ash settle down to the bottom while the coals rise up to where they will burn.

I do alot of cold starts so I empty it out almost completely everytime, some will say to leave an inch or too and thats fine. I find my blower kicks on much faster when its completely cleaned out.

as needed per your burning practices, need for heat and so on....

No right or wrong answer here other than maintaining extreme caution in the entire process from tools used to proper disposal. Mine usually go right into the fire pit outback but since that is buried under 10" of snow they are being spread on the gravel driveway for traction. NEVER leave the bucket in the house - EVER!! and never leave them outside uncovered or place on or anywhere near combustibles and as a "safest" practice never believe they are fully exhausted of heat

Just treat them as if they are still a potential danger no matter what and use your head. I am guessing as many or MORE house fires are started each year in this process as chimney and stove caused fires. FFJ or other fire fighters on this forum may be along to confirm this.

ie. the bucket in the garage -NOT safe, on the deck - NOT safe, right outside the door and Ill move them in the morning - NOT safe and so on.

As mentioned - the big stuff floats on top so some manipulation with the shovel will allow you to get mostly ash and leave big fuel/coals in the stove if necessary. Experiment with the process and find what works for you.

I do alot of cold starts so I empty it out almost completely everytime, some will say to leave an inch or too and thats fine. I find my blower kicks on much faster when its completely cleaned out.

Mine seems to function better with a lower amount of ashes. I have a bypass switch on the blower....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.