1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much did you invest in order to burn wood, and save money? Where is your break even?

Post in 'The Gear' started by mywaynow, Feb 19, 2012.

1. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    People's time is worth something but most people can't just work more hours and make more money. Myself I enjoy being outdoors and having fun with power tools beyond just the savings.

Savings wise:

Pipe - $700 (Liner, Cap, Adapter)
    Quadrafire 3100i - $1300
    Chainsaws - $1300
    Pickup - $1900
    Englander 13NCL - $313
    Class A Chimney Pipe - $580

Yearly I save at least $1300-1500 on Natural gas if not more and I've been burning 7+ Years now

Of course this doesn't include gas/time/food ect.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I've spent probably $3000 on the insert, liner, original install, saw, 2 mauls, a wedge, and whatever else after the tax breaks.

We've saved about $7,000 in oil in 2 1/12 years of burning wood. So I'm in the black about $4000. And we're warmer than ever. Not to mention its just fun.

What a a blessing it has been to our family.
  3. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    How big is your house?
  4. dafattkidd

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    My house is only 2000sf. I heat 1700 sf with wood. The other 300 sf or so is an apartment that is still heated with the oil burner. My house is super drafty and very difficult to keep warm. During winter months I used to burn 200+ gallons of oil per month.
  5. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    WOW! Maybe look into plugging up some of those leaks over the summer and putting more insulation in. This is my first year burning and I do enjoy it but i'm ready to be done and get out of winter.
  6. dafattkidd

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I am sealing the house up little by little. Each year I take on another project and tighten it up a little more.