how much fall for horizontal run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul?

Burning Hunk
May 30, 2014
western pa
Now that my thimble is installed, I decided to check the fall on my horizontal run through the wall. Because I am a boneheaded brick layer, I automatically made my 3 ft. Horizontal run dead level. How important is that 3/4 inch fall that I knew to put in but didn't?

It does make a difference, especially with a rear exit. How tall is the chimney? Can you shorten the vertical?

No vertical. Boss didn't want to see any pipe, so we're straight out the back.

No vertical. Boss didn't want to see any pipe, so we're straight out the back.

Not good. How tall is the chimney. Can you lower the hearth?

Chimney will be 24 ft. No modifications possible but to move the thimble. If I have to do it anyway, should I go for a full inch of fall?

Oy, with 24 ft it may work ok, but could be a bit balky on start up until the flue is warmed up. Hard to say. If there's a problem it will be most noticeable on startup and reloading in milder weather. Once it gets cold and the stove is burning 24/7 it should be less of an issue.

Thanks for the info. It's going to bother me, so I might as well move it and be done. I hate things that don't work properly. I don't have the interior drywall finished yet, so that's something at least.

Just to be sure, you want a 1/4" per foot rise in the horizontal run from the stove to the tee. 1" won't hurt.

I just knocked out part of a block wall for the same reason. I was more worried about liquids not draining back into the stove than I was draft. Now that it's done I'm glad I did it. I also knew it would bug the crap out of me if I didn't change it.

I want to say thanks to begreen for his info. I moved the thimble last night after work and I feel much better about my install. I also bought a piece of Kaowool to insulate around the thimble before I close the wall up and install the interior cover plate. No sense cheaping out on the safety part. $70.00 is a pretty inexpensive piece of mind. I've used that stuff to do refractory repairs on hot coke ovens, and it stands up to 3000 degrees on a working oven for days at a time. It makes me feel better to know its between my combustibles and my flue gasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.