How Much Fatwood Do You Use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
For those of you who use Fatwood- Just wondering how much you use when starting your fire. Two or three get the job done, but sometimes I like to use more when I want quick, easy starts. The "directions" that come with the fatwood say never to use more than two or three sticks at a time. Is it such a bad thing to use four or five?

When I do light a cold stove, I generally use rolled newspaper wads & hardwood kindling vs. fatwood, more so because Im cheap and kindling/junk paper is readily available and free. :)

But when I have used fatwood, I usually only use one or two sticks, and then kindling on top of those. Fatwood, as its basically wood saturated w/ sap, contains a lot of creosote forming material and you're lighting it in a cold stack. But if you're not doing it often, e.g. you're a 24x7 burner, it doesnt make much of a difference IMHO.

None,only super cedar for me. ;-P

I don't like the idea of the sappy wood either, especially in a cold stack. When I wake in the morning, I am starting a "cold" stove every time. Stovetop temp might be about 120 from the night before, with a few small glowing coals once I stir things up. Nothing substantial to start a fire, this is why I consider it a cold start. The benefit of using more fatwood is the it gets the fire, and hence the stack temp. hotter more quickly, with less time spent in the danger zone of creosote formation. I guess using more kindling and paper is the better choice- but it burns out so quickly. I pretty much burn only oak. It's dry, but it still takes a bit to get it really going.

Status
Not open for further replies.