How much smoke is too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kalevi

Hearth Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Ottawa Ontario
I've got a Pacific Energy Vista insert. This year I know I have dry hardwood because I bought it from a reputable woodlot owner this past July. He said it had been drying for all of 2006 and it has the radial splits in almost all pieces. I made sure it stayed dry and left it outside on the sunny side of my house stacked properly so it had another 3 months to get even dryer. As well, it takes very little kindling to get it going and keep it going.

I get smoke from my chimney when I first light the fire until the firebox gets to temperature. Then, as long as I keep the airflow fairly high, I don't see anymore smoke. After the first burn, I get some smoke from the splits I add but it goes away pretty quick, as long as I keep the air flow high. If I move the lever to the right, the fire continues and pours out heat but I start to see smoke from the chimney. Is this OK or is it a sign of incomplete combustion?

The reason I ask is that I have a neighbor who keeps complaining about the smell of smoke outside his house. He says it is not my chimney but I suspect it is.

Kalevi,what you described seems completely normal....if I turn down my draft far enough, I will create smoke as well.It sounds like you're operating your stove properly, just monitor your stove temps via thermometer and you'll be able to "dial in" that sweet spot on your draft control for a good burn with minimal smoke.

When you turn it down you should see secondary combustion. Those dancing flames. Those flames are caused by the "smoke" burning. Are you getting secondary combustion?? You should see very little smoke even if you turn down your air control as long as there is secondary cmbustion. MAybe you are turning it down too far. Like Titan said, gotta find the sweet spot.

once my stove(pe sup 27) gets going i can shut my damper almost all the way and get no smoke at all. maybe somehing is wron with ur secondary combustion

Also be sure that you have a good bed of hot coals....that really helps with secondary burn and will virtually eliminate all smoke.

I might add this concerning your neighbor If you know when he is outside like going off to work then try to plan your reloading so as not to be smoking when he is outside

out of sight out of mind approach.. In winter he will not be outside as much and all windows will be closed it will be easier to plan reloading.

In winter there will be a stronger draft as well moving the exhaust higher up allowing your stove to be run more efficiently. You will be able to control the inlet air and get cleaner burning

Right now drafts tend to be lazy and stove operations not all that efficient

Could be a draft issue? How tall is your chimney and what size?

My chimney is at least 25' high. The full liner diameter I will have to check with the manuals but it was installed by a supposed pro firm and heavily inspected by a city guy (3 trips 2 during installation and 1 after completion). Getting the permit was a hassle because we had to submit full plans and all the manufacturer documentation.

I think I was just turning the thing down too far. Hopefully as the weather gets cooler, the draft will improve.

I will try to fire around my neighbors' schedule (2 kids, they take them for a walk after work, Mrs at home on maternity (nice to have a government job)).

Thanks for the advice folks.

In Washington State, we have wood smoke opacity limits. When a "smoke cop" is called out on a neighbor complaint, he must stay outside and observe the smoke coming out of the offending chimney for at least 20 minutes before gaging the opacity: this is because even well seasoned air-dried wood still contains 20-25% moisture content, which turns to steam as the load heats up. The steam exiting the chimney looks like smoke, but isn't.

I mention this because the "smoke" you describe exiting the chimney at the start of the fire and each time you add wood might just be steam. And if this "smoke" reappears when you turn your draft control down, it could be you're turning it down before the wood has a chance to kindle, or your wood isn't as dry as you've been led to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.