How much soot in the pipe to expect??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
Ok today I did my usual shut down and clean out. I also went out and opened the T and cleaned the excess ash out of the external part of the pipe and there was much more ash than I expected. We've been burning as main source of fuel since October but I still didn't expect this much. This is my first year so I'm still learning. If warm weather ever comes I hope to get this thing running a bit better, it's producing ash that is still in the form of pellets also instead of a nice complete burn.

How much fuel have you put through the stove since October? BTW, that is a LONG time to go w/o cleaning the pipe, unless you haven't burned much.

Most people clean the entire exhaust pipe after each ton or so.

How many bags have you burned since the venting was cleaned?

It really is not an annual thing, it is ash driven.

imacman said:
How much fuel have you put through the stove since October? BTW, that is a LONG time to go w/o cleaning the pipe, unless you haven't burned much.

Most people clean the entire exhaust pipe after each ton or so.

Ok good to know that. Had no idea as with the wood stove we only cleaned it pre-season but burned it often September through May. I'll get on a more frequent schedule.

Any best way to get in there and clean out the straight pipe from the stove without moving the stove around?

rehabbingisgreen said:
Any best way to get in there and clean out the straight pipe from the stove without moving the stove around?

I'm sure most of the forum members have forgotten your exhaust set-up.....please describe again starting at the stove outlet.

rehabbingisgreen said:
Ok today I did my usual shut down and clean out. I also went out and opened the T and cleaned the excess ash out of the external part of the pipe and there was much more ash than I expected. We've been burning as main source of fuel since October but I still didn't expect this much. This is my first year so I'm still learning. If warm weather ever comes I hope to get this thing running a bit better, it's producing ash that is still in the form of pellets also instead of a nice complete burn.

I always make sure to expect A LOT of ash, pipe almost plugged. It never is anywhere near that bad, so I feel good about it.
And if the ash is still in the form of pellets, throw it back in the hopper, and burn it again, don't be a quitter.

hossthehermit said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

I always make sure to expect A LOT of ash, pipe almost plugged. It never is anywhere near that bad, so I feel good about it.
And if the ash is still in the form of pellets, throw it back in the hopper, and burn it again, don't be a quitter.

+1

I also figure I'm going to need a dump truck to cart it away in, so when it only takes a couple of minutes with a brush and leaf vacuum I'm happy.

imacman said:
rehabbingisgreen said:

I'm sure most of the forum members have forgotten your exhaust set-up.....please describe again starting at the stove outlet.

We have two short pipes connected straight out through the wall that connects to the pipe with the clean out and then the pipe runs straight up a few feet.

That's an easy one, since the clean-out is outdoors. I'd remove the T from both pipes, and run a stove brush or lint Eater into both with a shop vac pulling vacuum at the open end.

Then, IF you have a leaf blower with the vacuum attachment, it can be hooked to the end of the pipe going into the stove, and suck all the remaining ash from the stove (this is done AFTER you fully clean the stove for best results).

imacman said:
That's an easy one, since the clean-out is outdoors. I'd remove the T from both pipes, and run a stove brush or lint Eater into both with a shop vac pulling vacuum at the open end.

Then, IF you have a leaf blower with the vacuum attachment, it can be hooked to the end of the pipe going into the stove, and suck all the remaining ash from the stove (this is done AFTER you fully clean the stove for best results).

Thanks! That helps a bunch.

I have an "out & up" exhaust install as well. As an amateur I made the mistake of just buying a single Tee to serve as a cleanout for the vertical section of pipe. This left me with no way to clean the horizontal leg of piping running from stove to tee. This year I replaced it with a double-tee. I can now clean 100% of my piping from outside the house with zero disassembly other than taking off the cleanout caps.

I am so glad I used the 4" pipe. I've burned 3 tons this year and haven't even had to brush out the pipe yet. I just went out a last week and smacked the pipe around to knock loose some of the ash. I won't have to even think about it until the official "end of season" cleanup. 4" pipe is SOOOOO worth the extra money !

Mines up and out, I pop the termination cap, tap the daylights out of it.

Place the leaf vacuum end over the end of the pipe up against the thimble and let it rip. Takes everything back to the top of the ash traps. It even sucks the pellets out of the top of the drop chute.

About the only thing left in the venting is between the combustion blower mounting plate and the impeller.

The stove gets that treatment every time it isn't butt freezing cold out.

i would do a complete clean..i clean my stove every sunday inside and do the leaf blower clean on it and monthly i clean the blowers

Anybody recommend a a certain type/brand of blower that does a good job? I have been holding off cleaning it because of the crazy amounts of snow I will have to remove just to get to the pipe.

MarkH said:
Anybody recommend a a certain type/brand of blower that does a good job? I have been holding off cleaning it because of the crazy amounts of snow I will have to remove just to get to the pipe.

One that has a vacuum attachment. I have a cheap electric unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.