How much storage and what size boiler do I need? Tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starksb

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2009
West MI
I live in Michigan and I plan to build a 4000 sf house range. I am going to use ICF basement which is a form block. I am going to have pex in the floor in the basement. Plus I would like to heat my Polebarn that is 1080 sf and pex in the floor. Could you tell me your thoughts about what size boiler I need and how much storage would be best. I am looking at the Tarm boilers.
Thanks

I think a professional heat loss calculation will be in order as you wont have a history of heating needs for this house. I am guessing you know this but you will want to isolate your slabs from the ground with at least 1.5 " of rigid foam.
Once you know your heat loss you can figure your storage based on how much time you want between firings, and size your boiler to the amount of storage it can reasonably charge back up. I am a newbie here so take what I have said as such.
Also, the search function works pretty well-well enough for me to have read HOURS and HOURS if great information. The folks here really know their stuff.
Good luck,
Noah

Do NOT build 4k[]!!

The kids
parents
in-laws
stray dogs will move in and use up that space. And you will get to provide wood to keep them all happy. :-S

If they are all good, a man only needs one woman, one dawg, one gun . . . that much room and you can't always find the good stuff when you want it

Google "slantfin". Run the program and make some assumptions on how you will build your home. That's the first step. From there you can start planning for the boiler and storage. Without understanding your heatloss it's rather like asking "what truck will pull my trailer" without knowing whether it is a paddle boat trailer or a 50' flatbed loaded with steel coil....

5080 sq feet total. you won't get more than 30 Btu's/sq-ft out of concrete... which is usually more than plenty on new construction. Assuming you need 30 Btu's/sq foot for the entire amount of sq footage on the coldest day (which you probably won't) that's 152,400 Btu's... your actual loads will most likely be much less. A 200,000 Btu boiler will more than likely support your needs for both some storage (1000 gallons or more?) and the actual heat load at any given time. A 150000 Btu boiler might be pushing it in my opinion, but it depends on what you want and how long you want to go between burns, and how much storage you can install.

There's alot of variables that we don't know... I like the trailer analogy... but the above should be a pretty good guess I would think.

cheers

Don't know much about it, but can you use that radiant floor as storage also?
As above-at least "1.5 of foam under concrete. Wouldn't hurt to go more. radiant slabs work great, unless the loose heat from underneath. Than forget about what size boiler you need.
If you want a tarm, call bioheat directly and get their opinion.
Do not be afraid of spending money on insulation! It will be an investment. Cheap money if done right.
A building that size, plan way, way, ahead.
Good luck
Time to go grooming the snowmobile trails.

2352 square ft, radiant slab on 1st floor, using a tarm 40 with 806 gal of open storage. my last fire was Sunday night, I achieved storage tank temps of 175. looked Monday a.m. storage at 160 no fire needed, looked Monday late storage at 145 no fire needed, looked Tuesday morning storage at 135 no fire needed, when I got home tonight temp at 114, I lit a new fire. I should see temps at 170 in a.m. maybe I can go another 2 days. started burning 1/31/08 I've used 1.5 cords of dry hardwood to date. thermostat is set at 64 degrees F. sweetheat

Status
Not open for further replies.