How much stove do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

galega

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2010
Portugal
Anyone have any thoughts as to how big of a stove I should be looking for to heat a single living room of approximately 325 square feet (with a sloped ceiling between 20 ft - 10ft tall) of uninsulated/poorly-insulated concrete block construction, in a climate with a winter night-time average low of upper 30s low 40s (but humid), and where I do not plan on keeping the fire going during the day but instead plan to run the stove for a few hours in the morning and about 8 hours each evening?

Hi everyone - new guy here! I have spent many hours reading up on woodstoves and reading through some of the posts here, and I'm hoping to get some advice from the experienced woodburners around here.

My wife's family has a small cottage near the coast in Portugal. From what I can tell by looking at various climate maps, the climate is similar to coastal northern California or coastal Pacific Northwest: warm dry summers, cool (but not freezing) and humid winters. I'd say the average nightly low temperature during the winter months is in the low 40s (sometimes dipping down into the mid 30s), but also humid so it's a damp cold. During the day, it warms up quite a bit, on average in the 50s during the day even in the winter.

The cottage is a simple cement block building, on a concrete slab, single story, a few bedrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. There is no central heating system of any kind, to the extent anyone spends time there in the winter they get by with electric heaters in the bedrooms at night. The house is poorly insulated, if at all (I don't believe the walls have any insulation, although I think there is some insulation in between the ceiling and the roof).

I would like to add a woodstove to the living room, since that's we'll spend most of our time when we're inside on winter evenings. (I will be installing an interior metal chimney with the woodstove.) I'm trying to decide how much stove is right for our needs.

The stove will most often be lit in the late afternoon and kept going for maybe 8 hours each evening. Mainly I'm just hoping to keep that room cozy during the evenings. While there might be some residual heat benefit transferred to the adjacent bedrooms, I'm not counting on it, and so I expect the fire will burn out each night, maybe lit again in the mornings to warm the room up a bit, then left alone during the day and not lit again until late afternoon. On some days we might run the stove during the day, but usually because of the mild weather we're out and about and won't need to keep the fire going, nor will anyone be around to do so.

The room is somewhere around 200 square feet. The ceiling is tall, at the peak it's probably 18-20 feet or so, sloping down on either side to about 10 feet. Again, some light insulation in between the ceiling (wood) and the roof (terra cotta roof tiles), but probably nothing in the walls.

My first thought was the Jotul 602CB, which has a listed max heat output of 28,000 BTU and is listed as heating up to 800 sq. feet. But this must be based on some assumptions about insulation, ceiling height, etc. I'm concerned that this might not be enough to heat the living room I have.

So then I was considering the Jotul F3 CB or the Jotul F118 CB. But I'm concerned that might be too much stove, even given the lack of insulation and the high ceilings.

I really just don't know. I grew up in a house where our old Much Wenlock coal stove was our primary heat source in Pennsylvania, but that was years ago and I don't have a sense for how the building material will play into this. Given the way I plan to use the stove (not expecting it to last overnight, probably will make a fire in the AM to warm up and then not get it going again until the late afternoon/early evening) does it make sense to error on the side of getting a bigger or smaller stove?

Interested in hearing any thoughts or advice from you guys!

Hmm....fighting uninsulated block walls is gonna take some BTUs. I think you are looking at some pretty good stoves. Anything over the 2 cuft. size will probably heat you out of the room, but again, you will loose quite a bit of heat out of those side walls. I think I would be looking at the 2.0 cu. ft. range or under for that application.

And welcome to the forum.

Ceiling fan. Whatever the stove. Welcome to the forums! Rick

Even though you have poor insulation block walls, your only heating 200 sq ft in a mild climate. I think the smaller Jotuls would be fine.

Welcome Lusitan. Will the stove be heating this space exclusively or is the living room connected to the other rooms or is it closed off with a door? The Jotul 602 should handle this task fairly easily. The Jotul F3CB will provide a nicer fire view and accepts longer wood. This would be my choice in the Jotul family if the stove is heating more than just the living room space. A ceiling fan will really help break up heat stratification in the high ceiling cavity. It should be a reversible fan. That way it can be run blowing upward in the wintertime for a less drafty feeling.

Uninsulated block will mean that about 25-30% of the heat output from the stove will be heating outdoors and not the house. If a layer of insulation can be added, the difference will be quite noticeable.

Thanks for the feedback and the warm welcome everyone!

I got a little more detailed information from my wife: the room is roughly 325 square feet, so a little bigger than I originally thought.

Jags said:
Hmm....fighting uninsulated block walls is gonna take some BTUs. I think you are looking at some pretty good stoves. Anything over the 2 cuft. size will probably heat you out of the room, but again, you will loose quite a bit of heat out of those side walls. I think I would be looking at the 2.0 cu. ft. range or under for that application.

Cubic feet is suprisingly difficult to find for the Jotul stoves I'm looking at. Do you know where I can find the cu.ft. for the Jotul 602 and the Jotul 118? I'm guessing that's the cu.ft. of the firebox, but those dimensions aren't readily available from the specs I've seen.

fossil said:
Ceiling fan. Whatever the stove.

Good point, Rick. I need to look into that.

Todd said:
Even though you have poor insulation block walls, your only heating 200 sq ft in a mild climate. I think the smaller Jotuls would be fine.

One vote for the Jotul 602 ... I was leaning toward that as well, especially given the daytime temps. And I like the way it looks too!

BeGreen said:
Welcome Lusitan. Will the stove be heating this space exclusively or is the living room connected to the other rooms or is it closed off with a door? The Jotul 602 should handle this task fairly easily. The Jotul F3CB will provide a nicer fire view and accepts longer wood. This would be my choice in the Jotul family if the stove is heating more than just the living room space. A ceiling fan will really help break up heat stratification in the high ceiling cavity. It should be a reversible fan. That way it can be run blowing upward in the wintertime for a less drafty feeling.

Uninsulated block will mean that about 25-30% of the heat output from the stove will be heating outdoors and not the house. If a layer of insulation can be added, the difference will be quite noticeable.

Well, I'm setting my expectation for this stove to only heat this one room, the living room. The living room is connected to the kitchen via an open doorway (i.e. no door, just a standard size doorway) but otherwise is isolated from the rest of the house. I drew up a quick and dirty sketch of the layout, with the red rectangle showing there I am planning on placing the stove.

(I added a sketch below.)

There may be some minor heat benefit to the kitchen, and to a bedroom on the opposite side of the wall from where the stove will sit, but as you can see the layout is not ideal for counting on the stove to heat anything more than just the room where it's installed.

So, given that the stove isn't really going to be heating more than just the living room, I guess that would argue away from the F3CB, eh?

This is a pretty cool "how many BTUs needed to heat this room" calculator:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/how_much_heat_does_that_room_need

The calculator is based on "a normally insulated home in a temperate climate zone such as the Mid Altantic States." I don't have a normally insulated home, but the climate is milder than the mid-Atlantic states, so perhaps that's a wash ...

When I plug in my numbers:
- room size of 13x25
- ceiling height of 15 (I figure that's the average ceiling height)
- two doors
- two windows
- 3 exterior walls

I get this:

"23,099 BTU/Hour required to heat a 4875 cubic foot room [15 high x 13 wide x 25 long] with 40 sq. feet of Doors, 40 sq. feet of Windows and 0 Fireplace"

The Jotul 602 claims max output of 28,000 BTU/hour ... if that's anything like the usual "max" ratings, I suppose I should consider it closer to 20,000 BTU/hour, which is just about 70% of the claimed max. If I'm being too skeptical let me know. But on the other hand, applying a factor of 70% may be appropriate with 30% of my heat going through the poorly insulated cement.

Maybe the Jotul F100 Nordic is a better option. That lists a max output of 35,000 BTU/hour ... applying a 70% "reality" check puts it at 24,500 BTU/hour. Sounds about what I need.

I haven't heard the greatest reviews about the Jotul F100 stove, but I will do some more reading up on that model.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me kick some of these ideas around. I will definitely look at trying to improve the insulation of the cottage at some point, just not sure when or how succcessful that will be so I'm planning for worst case scenario.

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 729
BrotherBart has the Nordic and likes it. He also has the F3CB, so it would be worth PMing him for a comparison. The F100 will mean smaller firewood than the F3CB, but other than that it appears to be a nice small stove with a nice fire view. The Jotul 602 is a fine small stove. It will need to be fed a bit more frequently, but it can heat nicely.

I think you can heat more area and alleviate some of the heat build up that may happen in the living room by taking a table fan and placing it on the floor at the entrance of the lower left bedroom. Point it towards the living room and run it on low speed and it should start heat circulating through the kitchen and to the hallway. Use this together with a ceiling fan and the stove should have a nice overall influence on the house warmth.

BeGreen said:
BrotherBart has the Nordic and likes it. He also has the F3CB, so it would be worth PMing him for a comparison. The F100 will mean smaller firewood than the F3CB, but other than that it appears to be a nice small stove with a nice fire view. The Jotul 602 is a fine small stove. It will need to be fed a bit more frequently, but it can heat nicely.

I think you can heat more area and alleviate some of the heat build up that may happen in the living room by taking a table fan and placing it on the floor at the entrance of the lower left bedroom. Point it towards the living room and run it on low speed and it should start heat circulating through the kitchen and to the hallway. Use this together with a ceiling fan and the stove should have a nice overall influence on the house warmth.

That's a good idea - thanks BeGreen. And thanks for the heads up, I'll pm BrotherBart to ask for some personal insight on the Nordic and the F3CB. I like both of them too.

When in doubt, it makes sense to go with a slightly larger stove versus a slightly smaller one. You can always build smaller and/or fewer fires with the larger one, but when it gets really cold, the smaller one shows its limits. In addition, the larger one provides longer burn times if they are desired.

I think any of those smaller Jotuls could work well, but do you have any options for a catalytic stove? It would seem be appropriate for your situation.

branchburner said:
I think any of those smaller Jotuls could work well, but do you have any options for a catalytic stove? It would seem be appropriate for your situation.

Nothing I've read so far made me think that a catalytic stove would fit the bill better, so I'm curious why you think that might be the case. I know that a cat might be a little cleaner in general, is that because of the way I intend to start/stop the stove on a regular basis?

I'll have to look around to see what options I have for cats in Portugal. I know Jotul sells there, but haven't done much research on cats.

lusitan said:
I know that a cat might be a little cleaner in general, is that because of the way I intend to start/stop the stove on a regular basis?

Since the cat lowers the burn point of smoke, it's getting secondary combustion at lower temps. That means in a moderate climate you can "dial it down" more easily than a burn-tube stove. So longer burns, not as hot, but more efficient. Not a huge deal, I just think cats are good for spring/fall weather.

If you were in the States, I'd suggest a smaller Woodstock like the Keystone. But you are in Portugal, let's face it... any old stove at all is going to be... GREAT... you're in Portugal! So really, "how much stove you need" is going to be the prettiest, friendliest, easiest-to-use stove that helps you enjoy your time there. It's going to be very hard to screw this up.

It's been 20 years since my visit. Litre of soda two bucks, litre of water one buck, litre of wine fifty cents... damn, we're broke... it's gonna be wine for lunch again!

Hi -

I'd go with the Jotul F3 CB. If it's cold and windy you'll be up at night once to keep it burning though.

I loved Lisbon back in '82 !

All the best,
Mike

As far as cu ft. of the jotul brand - I have never seen those specs. You may actually have to take a ruler and measure it yourself. Maybe its more work than needed.

Of the stoves you are kicking around, my opinion is the F3CB would be your best bet. The 602 may handle it most times, maybe even all the time, but you would be pushing it pretty hard and have short longevity of the fire. Just one dudes opinion.

Jags said:
As far as cu ft. of the jotul brand - I have never seen those specs. You may actually have to take a ruler and measure it yourself. Maybe its more work than needed.

Of the stoves you are kicking around, my opinion is the F3CB would be your best bet. The 602 may handle it most times, maybe even all the time, but you would be pushing it pretty hard and have short longevity of the fire. Just one dudes opinion.

+1

zzr7ky said:
I'd go with the Jotul F3 CB. If it's cold and windy you'll be up at night once to keep it burning though.

Definitely windy there -- it's a couple miles from the coast and out on a cape, so combined with the humidity those 40-degree windy nights are chilly, even though you may find yourself in short sleeves in the sun the next day!

Jags said:
Of the stoves you are kicking around, my opinion is the F3CB would be your best bet. The 602 may handle it most times, maybe even all the time, but you would be pushing it pretty hard and have short longevity of the fire.

I'm leaning toward the F3CB now. The reviews I have read seem to indicate most people who own it are very happy with that model.

branchburner said:
But you are in Portugal, let's face it... any old stove at all is going to be... GREAT... you're in Portugal! So really, "how much stove you need" is going to be the prettiest, friendliest, easiest-to-use stove that helps you enjoy your time there. It's going to be very hard to screw this up.

It's been 20 years since my visit. Litre of soda two bucks, litre of water one buck, litre of wine fifty cents... damn, we're broke... it's gonna be wine for lunch again!

I will definitely post a photo of the stove once I get it running and am kicking back with a glass of vinho enjoying a toasty living room on a windy winter night!

Thanks again for all the feedback -- it really helps to kick these ideas around with experienced woodburners.

branchburner said:
When in doubt, it makes sense to go with a slightly larger stove versus a slightly smaller one. You can always build smaller and/or fewer fires with the larger one, but when it gets really cold, the smaller one shows its limits. In addition, the larger one provides longer burn times if they are desired.

Digging up this old thread again, because I'm starting to think a Jotul F400 would be a better choice, but was hoping to get your opinions as to whether I am going to regret going larger than the F3CB. First couple of my posts in this thread have some details that I won't repeat here, but a few additional pieces of information ...

(1) I did a little more research to try to find out exactly how poorly insulated this cottage is. I managed to get a hold of a couple of photos that show the very thin (in my opinion) bricks that the place is made out of. These bricks are mostly hollow -- so I was probably overstating things when I incorrectly said that the walls were "concrete block." See below for the image of what the walls are made out of. I don't think there's any insulation at all in them. I know it's poorly built, but it is what it is for now, and this is the construction I'm working with. So the "insulation" quality of this place may be even worse than I thought. I really want to avoid getting the F3CB and then finding out that on a 38-degree, damp, windy coastal winter night it can't even keep the living room cozy.

(2) The layout I sketched up was somewhat incorrect, in that there is a much bigger opening between the living room (where the stove will be located) and the kitchen. Instead of being a standard doorway sized connection, it's actually two or three times the width of a standard doorway, making it almost like one larger room, probably about 500 square feet for the kitchen/living room combined. And I may be able to get more warm air into the other parts of the house than I was originally thinking.

(3) I took a look at the Jotul F3CB and the Jotul F400 over the weekend, and the F3CB seemed smaller than I had expected. I would prefer to have the option to burn larger pieces of wood (which I may be cutting myself) and reload less frequently.

Both aesthetically, and thinking about the benefits of having the option to crank out more BTUs to combat my wimpy hollow brick walls, I'm now leaning toward the F400.

In the back of my mind, I'm still a little concerned that I might be getting too much stove (which I thought I read somewhere was one of the common mistakes people make). However, I read the comment above about simply making smaller fires, and it got me thinking: If I found that a fully loaded Jotul F400 was throwing off too much heat, and i made smaller fires, would I be burning dirtier (i.e. dirtying up my metal chimney) or risking a poor chimney draft (mine will be a straight up stove-pipe to class-A metal chimney)? In other words, is there a downside to making smaller fires if I err on the side of caution and got the larger F400?

I would probably be burning pine and/or eucalyptus, if that makes any difference.

So I would appreciate any advice, including talking me out of the Jotul F400 if you think that would be a mistake in this application.

Attachments

• window.gif
    window.gif
    378.6 KB · Views: 509
  • bricks.gif
    bricks.gif
    273.5 KB · Views: 516
  • layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 510
I don't think it would be a bad idea to get the F400, especially if you vent it straight up with at least 15' of pipe, which sounds possible with the high ceiling. The more common complaint we hear here is that the stove is too small for the task. This kind of issue typically starts showing up when it gets cold. You will like the F400. It has a nicer fit and finish and a better air control.

Besides being uninsulated, I wonder how well that window is going to seal. Is there no glass in it? If all ten window openings are of similar design, that could be an issue and would further warrant getting the bigger stove. I'd also consider making some clear plastic temporary windows fitted with a good seal.

BeGreen said:
I don't think it would be a bad idea to get the F400, especially if you vent it straight up with at least 15' of pipe, which sounds possible with the high ceiling. The more common complaint we hear here is that the stove is too small for the task. This kind of issue typically starts showing up when it gets cold. You will like the F400. It has a nicer fit and finish and a better air control.

Thanks BeGreen. I think we'll definitely be in the range of 15' of pipe, and it will be going straight up.

Besides being uninsulated, I wonder how well that window is going to seal. Is there no glass in it? If all ten window openings are of similar design, that could be an issue and would further warrant getting the bigger stove. I'd also consider making some clear plastic temporary windows fitted with a good seal.

I should have specified, that photo was taken when the windows were being replaced, they do have glass, actually double-paned glass (so the windows may be just as insulated as the walls!). At night we close the wooden shutters so it adds a big more insulation on top of the glass windows as well.

Assuming the cost and/or supply of wood is not an issue, I wouldn't worry about doing smaller. less efficient fires. You will get a little more smoke, go through a little more wood, but it does not mean your flue will be a problem. As long as you are burning fairly hot, the pipes will be fairly clean. A less efficient burn means a little more heat goes up the chimney, and a little more unburnt fuel (in the form of smoke) goes up as well. No big deal. The nice thing about the bigger stove is that if and when you want to really warm the whole place, or get a really long burn, you will have the firebox capacity to do so. Plus, a bigger stove is more fun to hang out by, especially if you want to use it as a fireplace (door open with a screen).

branchburner said:
Assuming the cost and/or supply of wood is not an issue, I wouldn't worry about doing smaller. less efficient fires. You will get a little more smoke, go through a little more wood, but it does not mean your flue will be a problem. As long as you are burning fairly hot, the pipes will be fairly clean. A less efficient burn means a little more heat goes up the chimney, and a little more unburnt fuel (in the form of smoke) goes up as well. No big deal. The nice thing about the bigger stove is that if and when you want to really warm the whole place, or get a really long burn, you will have the firebox capacity to do so.

That's good to know - thanks. The Mediterranean-climate heating season is comparatively short, so I don't mind going through a little more wood in exchange for the margin of safety in terms of being more confident in the stove's ability to warm the place up. An overnight burn would be a nice plus, and would make those cold mornings easier in terms of restarting the fire to warm things up.

Plus, a bigger stove is more fun to hang out by, especially if you want to use it as a fireplace (door open with a screen).

I hadn't thought of that, but that's a good point! Maybe it goes to my sense that the Jotul F400 just seemed to "fit better" in the room and in my mind's eye when I think of us using the stove.

Funny that I started out looking at the Jotul F602 and ended up at the F400! But thanks to you guys I think I finally have thought through the issue and feel good about the size of the F400.

Maybe down the road, after I see how well the F400 can heat the far bedrooms, I'll consider getting a tiny stove in the hallway out in front of the bedrooms to heat that part of the house.

Try that fan trick I mentioned earlier. You will be surprised at how well a regular table fan, on the floor, blowing cold air from the hallway towards the warm stove room will help heat up the hallway area.

BeGreen said:
Try that fan trick I mentioned earlier. You will be surprised at how well a regular table fan, on the floor, blowing cold air from the hallway towards the warm stove room will help heat up the hallway area.

Defintely going to give that a try. I may be there by Christmas for the first burn if all goes to plan, and I am looking forward to making that place comfortable for the family especially the little ones!

Gotta take some pictures and post them here. We don't get to see Christmas in Portugal very often. Actually with a Jotul burning, you will be the first!

It sounds like your winters are a lot like ours. Humid, and not so cold.

Our living room is about the size of yours, and it's position in the house is not too unlike yours. But we do have good insulation. We have a "medium" stove. Last year we had a record cold winter, but even on the coldest days I could easily make the living room too hot.

But it doesn't do a good job getting heat into the other parts of the house. Even with fans blowing, it's much warmer in the room with the stove than in the opposite side of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.