How much to install a Garn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Como

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2008
Colorado
www.comodepot.net
I will have a structure, open, so it can be dropped in by crane.

Just wondering how much to allow for the install, basically everything to get it going without the distribution system, radiators etc.

Most people here have done all/some of it themselves. But I will need to contract it out.

The cost is going to vary a lot based on what you want done. How many zones? P/S? Controls? Electrical backup or other?

Put together a tight bid package and shop it to some known contractors that are familiar with more commercial/industrial applications rather than your average residential P&H;contractor. I am not saying a local P&H;guy cannot handle it, but they may overcharge you to cover their learning curve to deal with something unfamiliar to them.

I don't know exactly what you would include in "distribution system" but I spent roughly $7-8k on materials doing my install myself. If I were to have a pro install my system I expect that number would have doubled, roughly...

As stated above there are huge variables that effect system cost....

stee6043 said:
I don't know exactly what you would include in "distribution system" but I spent roughly $7-8k on materials doing my install myself.

What did that 7-8K include?

I have a price for the Radiators, I have a price for the Boiler room.

I am looking at the cost of the Boiler plus install in the Boiler Room. So Boiler plus elivery plus unloading plus boiler room controls and insulation of Garn.

I have one figure so far but it seem disproportionate, and this is from someone who has done them before.

My figure above included everything to complete my system except the boiler. This would be pumps, controls, pipe, fittings, shut offs, one heat exchanger, air separator, expansion tanks, chimney with chase and the rack and insulation for my two 500 gallon storage tanks.

Typically a do-it-yourself boiler system should cost in the neighborhood of $15k or less if you're going gassification. I think a Garn is slightly more expensive than other boilers but typically not when you add in the cost of storage. Installed prices go up from this number. Again, these are estimates. I'm not exactly sure how much the Garn is selling for these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.