How much wood do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ohlongarm, worry not. Just last weekend my wife said I needed to get some more wood onto the porch so rather than getting it from the shed I decided to go out and get the old wood to get it used up. I didn't get it all but will try to bring the rest up today after pushing snow. WE do cover the tops of our wood piles after the first summer so this wood has been top covered for some time. How long ago was it split and stacked. That was either in 2003 or 2004 and I don't remember which. It may have even been one year earlier. The wood is in excellent condition and there was absolutely no punk. WE routinely burn 6-7 year old wood and much prefer it that old. So, rest easy tonight!

btw, when getting a new stove most folks are pleasantly surprised. For example, we've owned many different wood stoves and have burned wood for over 50 years. In 2007 we installed a new Woodstock Fireview. Before that we had a big old Ashley. We used to burn 6 cord or more annually. Now we average 3 cord....and stay much warmer too plus we now have a beautiful stove instead of, well, a plain old thing that we had to put up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.