How Much Wood Does A Pick-Up Hold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
I got left with green wood last time I ordered wood and am looking for a new supplier.

Read on a thread here that a question to ask a supplier is how is the wood being delivered and if it is in a pick-up truck, how many loads make a cord.

My old supplier had a huge truck and it was reinforced with added height to the sides and held 3 cords loaded to the top.

So what I want to know is ' how much wood does a 'standard' pick-up hold' so that if I get someone who uses a pick-up I will know if he is being honest about how much wood he is delivering.

Never too early to start planning for next winter....

What is a 'standard' pickup? 6' bed? 8' bed? Or one of those new trucks with an even shorter bed? Does it have sides above the bed?

A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet. 4' wide, 8' long, 4' high

Last year someone got me a cord of wood for xmas. The supplyer shows up in a truck, 8' bed no sides, wood just thrown in not stacked, just a hump of wood. When I called him on it he claimed it was a full cord, even had it in a "jig" before he put it in the truck. I told him he needed to measure his jig again. And on top of that it was punky wood. Oh well.

Multiply the length x width x height and divide the result by 128 = number or portion of cords in the load. Assuming 4' x 8' x 2' = 64 / 128 = 1/2 cord.

standard 8' bed is about 1/2 cord if it is tossed in. That is how I calculate mine when I bring it home is 2 loads to the cord. which gives me a fat cord because I toss as much as I can get to stay on the pickup.

I can put 2 face cords in my 1998 GMC Full size, short bed truck. I have to however put some in the extended cab and in the passenger side seat. It is pretty high in the back so straps are recommended. I don't know if I will do that again, stressful drive home.....

I have a small pickup and if I have a very short distance I can get half a cord in it. But it better be a quick ride. A "hey there is woood on the way home" load is a face cord so it can be driven safely. I also have coil over shocks to take the load.

Thanks once again for the info.

Iceman - the link is great. I printed it out and stuck it in my wood file. Gives me something concrete to fall back on when I start calling around.

I have hauled lots of measured face cords of 16 inch long wood. I have always tossed it into the bed of my truck. A Ford F-150 with an 8 foot bed, mounded just slightly higher than the bed sides is two face cords, or 2/3 of a full cord. A Toyota small PU with 6 foot bed tossed in just level with the sides of the bed sides, all the way accross, is one face cord, or 1/3 of a full cord.

I also believe that is about all the 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton versions of those two trucks want to haul any real distance at 55 mph.

I have had two F-150s and seven Toyota small PU trucks and have hauled wood for 32 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.