How much wood per day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JBinKC said:
Be Green I hadn't had an opportunity to burn 24/7 very often and wanted to give you a decent comparison

Stove brand: Jotul Castine F400
Hours burned: 24
Average temp: 23 degrees Farenheit
Wind Speed: 18mph
Inside temp: 71 degrees F
House size: 1100 sq ft
Insulation: average
Glass area: above average
Wood consumption: 65-70 lbs
Wood type: mixed red maple, red oak, white oak, mulberry
Fill frequency: roughly every 4 hours

With that wind speed you ought to look at wind generators!

BrotherBart said:
I looked today and their is a layer of soot. I will go a few more days to see if anything starts looking like it wants to stay in there and glaze over.

That and trying to figure out if that stuff coming out of the stack at night is condensation when the hot exhaust hits the night air or if it is smoke.

BB say it ain't so. I have been looking at getting a 30 NCP for my basement and moving my Phoenix out into one of the old fireplaces I have when I re-line its chimney. I gave one of the NCL's a pretty thorough look over at Home Despot where they had one of the stove bodies on a lazy susan and liked what I saw. Given the really low gms per hr rating I was hoping that there might be less chance of build-up through cleaner burns.

I'll look forward to your report in a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.