1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much wood will a wood chipper chip, if a wood chipper would chip wood? Well in the case of mine.

Post in 'The Gear' started by glacialhills, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glacialhills

glacialhills Member

Loc:
    S.W. Michigan
    I got an old WW grinder Renegade 8hp wood chipper for a song on CL but it bogs down when putting any little amount of wood into it.(I am sure that's why the song) The engine runs great But the blades are as dull as a butter knife. I cant find any info on this chipper and WW grinder folded quite a while ago. I am sure if I sharpen the blades it will work good But I havent a clue how to get the blades out easily. Any ideas? they are a lot like rototiller blades with weights between. split at the ends of each one into two prongs.Do you/can you sharpen chipper blades while in or do they have to be taken off.Well if nothing else the engine was worth the price I paid.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    I've only done it on a few different chippers, but I've always taken them out. It's worth the extra effort.
  3. Catskill

Catskill New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ / Northern Catskills NY
    I'd disassemble the unit but that's just me.

Just for kicks, here's a pic of my chipping rig:

Attached Files:

4. Apprentice_GM

Apprentice_GM Member

Loc:
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Surely that should be "How much wood would a wood chipper chip . . ." :)

If you can get to the blades with an angle grinder, I'd do them in-situ. But I'm lazy :) If not an angle grinder, can you get a file or sharpening stone to them?

I would also not sharpen them whilst the chipper is operating. But again, that's just me . . .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.