How much wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajr

Feb 11, 2014
illinois
725eb07876832f11c2e300f6760c442b.jpg b55aaedf75e46149276ea143615939ce.jpg

A couple of different piles. Any idea

My rough estimate is 15 cord, but I don't know if the second picture is just a different angle of the first. Is it all cut into squares to be cribbing?

There's 2 different pictures of different piles. And they are Railroad tie end cuts. Before they are treated. And wow I didn't think there was that much!!

If the 2 pictures are showing all different piles its 20 + easily.

SCORE!

I'm gonna guess under ten, but I'm not too good at estimating loose piles without seeing 'em in 3D...hope you post back with the final tally when you get 'er stacked out. ==c
they are Railroad tie end cuts....The best part it is mostly oak and I never have to fire up the chainsaw!!
I think the ties are White Oak, as well. Looks dry enough to burn today. Score, indeed...Jackpot score in my book! _g :cool: How did you luck into that? Don't tell me it was free, too; That would be too good to be true...

Last edited:
Boy, you could really pack a stove tight with that stuff...

Well Woody they weren't free. But I only gave 50 dollars per load. The load was a semi dump box. That might also give you an idea how much.....

gave 50 dollars per load. The load was a semi dump box.
So that's two loads? OK; 4'x4'x8'=128 cu.ft. in a cord. From wiki (uh-oh) ;lol I'm seeing, 15-17 cu.yd. for a semi dump trailer. 27 cu.ft. per cu.yd, so 17 yd. x 27=459 cu.ft. 459/128 cu.ft. per cord=3.6 cords per semi dump. Soooo $50/3.6= $13.88 per cord for White Oak, probably from all straight trunk wood, no crotches, delivered. If dry enough (check with a moisture meter,) could be stacked as is under cover, and split as needed. Uh......SCORE!! :eek: ::-) I would be done cutting wood if I could get that deal any time...

Last edited:
I am done cutting!! I just need to drain the gas!! And there are 4 loads. So that's like 14 cords!!. I only use 4 per year. Also some of it is pretty green. Do you guys think it will dry quicker being cut like that??

I am done cutting!! I just need to drain the gas!! And there are 4 loads. So that's like 14 cords!!. I only use 4 per year. Also some of it is pretty green. Do you guys think it will dry quicker being cut like that??
What size are they? Most look like cutoffs from 6x6 or 8x8 timbers. I don't think it will be quicker drying and might be slower if tight stacked. When stacking keep a little gap between pieces to allow air to circulate through the stack.

Reactions: ajr
AMWESOME SCORE! I would maybe split some of the larger ones from corner to corner to end up with some wedges so when you stack it you can create some air space for drying. To flat faces stacked together aren't going to dry the best.

Reactions: ajr
What size are they? Most look like cutoffs from 6x6 or 8x8 timbers. I don't think it will be quicker drying and might be slower if tight stacked. When stacking keep a little gap between pieces to allow air to circulate through the stack.
They are Railroad ties. I'm thinking about just leaving them in piles...??

AMWESOME SCORE! I would maybe split some of the larger ones from corner to corner to end up with some wedges so when you stack it you can create some air space for drying. To flat faces stacked together aren't going to dry the best.
Yeah that's kind of what I thought. Just splitting the bigger ones. Thanks for the input![emoji6]

Depending on what kind of stove you run, I would split them down to around 4" and stack under cover. Green wood will still take a couple of years split to dry well, if you stack loosely it in the wind with good air circulation (don't stack in large cubes.) If you're not a couple years ahead on other dry wood, and need this stuff for the coming winter, you'll have to try to cull out the driest and stack single-row in the wind, for the little good drying weather that's left.

I run a Daka woodfurnace it'll take whatever I can fit it the door. The bigger the better. I don't have a ton for this year so I might be doing what you said Woody.

That's ALOT o WOOD! +2 on the top cover and off the ground tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.