How NOT to install a woodstove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RS267

Hearth Supporter
Jun 28, 2008
West Lebanon, NH
Thought I would share these photos. I suppose some credit should be given for at least putting a piece of Class A through the floor, although there certainly doesn't appear to be 2" clearance. But what's up with the masonry chimney? It doesn't show in the photo behind the stove. What's supporting it? Yikes!

Attachments

• living-room-before-dunn-0909-de.jpg
    living-room-before-dunn-0909-de.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • bedroom-before-dunn-0909-de.jpg
    bedroom-before-dunn-0909-de.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 989
Wow . . . maybe we should turn this into a game . . . how many code/manufacturer spec violations can you spot in this one pic.

Now the real question is where did you find these pics . . . I'm guessing not in your own home.

Creative, I'll give them that! :cheese: What's surprising is it looks like an otherwise nice house, probably not someplace I'd expect to see a hack-job.

My guess is the 2nd floor cantilevers out over the 1st floor wall.....the chimney is outside the house on the 1st floor, kind of a split level house. Now why didn't he go right thru the 1st floor wall into the chimney, I'll guess again and say the guy wanted some heat in his upstairs room.

I've seen stranger things, this install could have been much better!

Hummmmm, now I'm looking out the 1st floor window and if what I thought was true, we would see the underside of the 2nd floor outside that window????? Not sure what I'm looking at.

When I was appraising I saw that kind of thing more than once. Especially in older farmhouses. I always made note of it and the lender always approved the loan anyways.

Matt

Les Biancat said:
house looks pretty unburnt
sheetrock cracks or floor sag would indicate if chimni has adequate support
i'd put MAGIC HEAT upstairs & use tees instead of elbows & maybe add heat shield @ ceiling
def not legal

Somehow I am not surprised that you'd put a Magic heat in there... seems a theme brewing :)

Although I don't see how it would make it any safer (or more legal).

Possabilty: Supporting structure is outside of first floor wall. Engineered concrete and steel cantilever cap extending into second floor joist system. Probly not. But I've built such a system more than once
with good results.

I love the massive hearth BEHIND the stove, but no ember protection in front

I thought that was flex downstairs at first.

firefighterjake said:
Wow . . . maybe we should turn this into a game . . . how many code/manufacturer spec violations can you spot in this one pic.

Now the real question is where did you find these pics . . . I'm guessing not in your own home.
I'd start a list but I'm still baffled over the install.

Can we have the rocket scientists name that put this flue in please????
Thanks for the giggle!

firefighterjake said:

I'm guessing R.E. promotional materials. Judging on the basis that the house is completely empty, but very clean. Most likely for sale.

Peace,
- Sequoia

WoodButchers take on this......

Attachments

• WBbedroom-before-dunn-0909-de.jpg
    WBbedroom-before-dunn-0909-de.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 465
STOP PICKING ON MY INSTALL!!!!

Besides the ember protection for the front is stored behind in the off season.
besides how else am i to heat the up stairs, you mean folks here don't like heat distribution holes cut in the floor of the second story rooms either.
talk about nit picky crotchety folks :(

RS267 said:
Thought I would share these photos. I suppose some credit should be given for at least putting a piece of Class A through the floor, although there certainly doesn't appear to be 2" clearance. But what's up with the masonry chimney? It doesn't show in the photo behind the stove. What's supporting it? Yikes!

I don't see the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.