1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How often do you clean the burnpot in your Harman XXV ?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by newpelletstove, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newpelletstove

newpelletstove Member

Loc:
    Upstate New York
    How often are the Harman XXV owners here cleaning their burnpots ? My dealer (installer) told me once a bag (that's 1-2 times a day for me). The owners manual says weekly. I think doing it once every 1-2 days is good - I can tell there is something to clean but it's not hard yet. What are others doing ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Southbridge06GT

Southbridge06GT New Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I haven't had it a week yet but every day when i get home i give it 30 second aggressive scrape. real good cleanings will happen every weekend
  3. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    Hi,

I give the burnpot a quick scrape once a day in the morning before work.
    I clean out the rest of the stove once a week. Gotta keep the holes in the
    burnpot clinker free for the stove to run the best.

Hope this helps
  4. Dougsey

Dougsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Epping, NH
    I have an Accentra but the setup is very similar to the XXV.

I scrape the burnpot every day or two. And what I mean is opening the door with a fire going and scraping for about 30 seconds like Southbridge said.

I'll shut her down every 4-6 weeks and do a full cleaning/vacuuming.
  5. Tom D

Tom D New Member

Loc:
    Watertown , Wisconsin
    i scrape my burn pot on my xxv every day and once a week vaccum the stove burns alot nicer after a good scrape.
    i also bought 17 inch craftsman pry bar and it fits perfect for angle of burn pot and works alot better than tool they give you with stove.
  6. newpelletstove

newpelletstove Member

Loc:
    Upstate New York
    Thanks everybody for the advice. It sounds like a good daily scraping is called for.

Misty that's interesting about the pry bar. I may try that. Would probably be easier to grip too (if it's round).
  7. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Once a day???? That seems like alot to me. I have a vertical feed stove and can go upwards of two weeks without cleaning the pot and still get decent performance. Is once a day necessary to maintain acceptable performance or cleaning once daily just keeps it burning at peak performance?
  8. The Patriot

The Patriot New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern Mass
    I'd say peak performance. My P68 can go a while (never really tested it) without scraping. I've probably gone a full week without scraping at some point and the stove still burns fine.

Of course, it depends on pellet quality.
  9. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    I scrape the pot once a day to keep it running at peak performance.
    It probably could wait longer, but I am in the habit of scraping each
    day anyhow.
  10. wwburning

wwburning New Member

Loc:
    West Warwick RI
    I would agree about "peak" performance. Every day when I check to see if it needs more pellets, I hit my P61A with the scraper.
    Just a habit I guess. I don't go crazy, I save that for the weekend when I vac out the burn pot etc.
  11. Tom D

Tom D New Member

Loc:
    Watertown , Wisconsin
    yes the pry bar is round on the end and it makes it alot easier scraping pot to remove
    carbon build up. you can buy a set of three different sizes or buy the 17 inch alone
    17 inch works great somebody on this forum recommended it.
  12. newpelletstove

newpelletstove Member

Loc:
    Upstate New York
    As far as once a day, I guess I am finding that when I scrape once a day there is something to scrape but it's not hard to scrape at that point. And the scraping I do takes about 10 seconds, so it's no problem.

I also find that the pot grows quite a collection of ash. I assume this is normal, but I push this into the ashpan at that time too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.