How often do you clean the glass on your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff S.

Dec 24, 2017
Jordan, NY
I'm trying to get a feel for what might be normal. New to the pellet stove community after burning a wood stove for 14 years. I only had to clean that glass once, maybe 2x a month. I'm cleaning the new stove every 2 days. I posted a separate thread asking if this was normal or do I need to fiddle with settings or try other pellets. Maybe should have asked this first..... (Harman Absolute 43)

I'm cleaning the glass every 2 to 3 weeks. It gets dirty after about 5 days but I let it go until the next time I shut it down. I scrape the burn pot with every bag.

It varies on how the stove is burning (what temps and feed) and which pellets are being used. Nothing really to be concerned with and it is really up to what one prefers. I usually hit mine at least every couple of weeks but that said sometimes it starts getting dirty before that. I do give it a good clean when I do my monthly or one ton clean.

Right now I'm into a disappointing ton of Somerset pellets. First time I've gotten ahold of ashy pellets. I've burned many tons of them and always had great results and nowhere near the ash these are pumping out. My glass has also gotten dirty a lot quicker burning this batch. I also fired up my Woodmaster OWB last night because it is really cold here and going to stay cold. As in teens and single digits with some lows in the negatives.

This will give me the opportunity to clean the P68 out well and also replace my door ropes. I'm interested to see but I think these current bags of Sets will still be an ashy mess and the glass will be hazed over in no time.

You can hit the glass while hot or running with a DRY cloth as frequently as you like and that takes a good bit off. Still not shiny and new clean but much better than the ash haze. In reality now that I think about it my glass usually get a haze going at the top of the glass rather quickly no matter what.

Reactions: jackman
I get that harman teardrop stain after a day or so...
have and old rag and when the stove ramps down,
i give it a quick wipe.....clean it with rag and glass cleaner when i do stove maint..
basically, there is no schedule for glass cleaning.. all depends on your OCD.:cool:

Reactions: jackman
I get that harman teardrop stain after a day or so...
have and old rag and when the stove ramps down,
i give it a quick wipe.....clean it with rag and glass cleaner when i do stove maint..
basically, there is no schedule for glass cleaning.. all depends on your OCD.:cool:

Yeah my O and C have checked out. I just roll in Disorder now..... I am planning on doing a good clean tomorrow and replacing my fire door rope gasket though. I bought that several weeks ago. But I did get motivated enough to mess with the Woodmaster and fire it up last night. It's out on the side of the barn and when i took the rear cover panel off I noticed I had a resident snake that went up into the unit.

I'm sure he / she the snake will be pissed since I fired it up. It's an ugly choice but that snake will have to chose between burn to death or freeze to death since it was brutally cold last night when I fired it up. Call me heartless but the snake got the holiday eviction notice.

Not sure it was in there but I did see two skin sheds so I assume it'd been squatting the last two winters since I haven't used it. No signs of it earlier when I went back out to throw more wood in either. All I can say is I hope it likes 180 degrees because I know it won't like the single digits and snow.

Reactions: Tonyray and bogieb
I have just a little peek through window I give it a wipe with dry paper towel daily

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I just clean it whenever I clean the stove(s) - every 2 to 4 weeks. The P43 glass stays much cleaner than the P61a's glass, but the P61a goes thru a lot more pellets (3:1 or 4:1 ratio). The P61a is in the basement so the only time I have to look at it is when I am feeding the stove and scraping the pot. The P43 is in the living room so I am much more aware of when it starts getting dirty.

I've burned some pellets that dirtied up the glass very quickly (ThermaGlos comes to mind), but other pellets don't leave so much grime.

I do my Serenity daily using Lowe's pellets. I open the lid to stop pellet flow and when the flame is in the pot give it a quick wipe with a dry rag. My glass gest a whitish coating as the day goes on and ash tends to stick to it. I think it blocks some of the windows heat transfer.

Reactions: bogieb
I clean mine whenever I clean the burn pot, which is about every 2-3 days. I first wipe it off with wet newspaper, then go over it with glass conditioner and let it dry, then buff it off with a wad of anti static rags. It makes it considerably easier to clean the next time.

With the Kirtland pellets the glass would fill up totally opaque in a day. With the Pro Pellets, it's still translucent after 3 days.

If it’s ceramic glass, which I think all new stoves are, on reload completely wet a old wash cloth and hit inside. The steam cleans the glass perfect. It doesn’t thermal shock the glass as the water vaporizes immediately and cleans the white ash debris off. This comes after a hotburn to remove creosote. No chemical needed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every day, I wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove the soot. Every week, when the ash pan, needs emptying, I clean the glass with Hearth and Stove Cleaner. This one-two punch keeps my glass transparent during the burn season.
IMG_2055.JPG
IMG_2056.JPG

When I fell it needs it