How often should a liner be inspected and cleaned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latichever

Hearth Supporter
Apr 14, 2006
This will be the fifth heating season for my pellet stove, which is a fire place insert venting into a chimney liner that extends three stories of my residential house.

The liner has not been inspected nor cleaned.

How often should this be done?

I received an estimate of $175 from a sweep. Is this reasonable?

Typically you would want to have a solid fuel appliance cleaned every year. Pellet stoves create a lot of fly ash that can clog up the flu. You will probably get the same price to clean it as you would get for a wood burning appliance. I recommend getting it serviced by a pro that REALLY knows pellet appliances.

$175 is steep fir the liner alone, IMHO. But they aren't making any money if they come out to clean one liner and charge you any less. Are they cleaning the stove too? If so, then I think they are not charging enough. If I'm performing an annual service, I do the liner while I do the insert. I charge a service call and an hourly rate, as every installation and stove is different. Some are more dirty, some are less.

Status
Not open for further replies.