How old was your stove when you bought it new?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Coaly just get a NOS Fisher from like '76, still new in the crate..?

To the OP, why yes, I am sure that dealer just foisted a lemon on you.

Or maybe, since it was new in the crate, and there have been no model changes, and you got a full warranty, maybe it doesn't matter. Wouldn't to me.

BTW, it would be nice if you put the model in your sig so people could say.. "oh yeah that stove changed last year".. or not. Also you might put what you paid for said stove, and someone might say.. why yes, that's MSRP.. or not.

BTW, I consider new to mean "unused", not "just manufactured". I have some "new" guns that are 50+ years old. and quite pricey because they are.

Very common to see an 2008 outboard on a 2010 boat as long as nothing changed in model years.

I would love to end up with a new Dodge Cummins 12 valve off of the showroom floor with a manufacture date of 1997. I know its a proven and will never be able to replicate that again. @ 300,000 I still consider mine pretty new. The same today would go for a few stoves. DONT SWEAT IT!

Our furnace is a Caddy, with the Hotblast 1950 badge manufactured for Usstove. They discontinued them in '06' I think. Ours was about 4 years old when we bought it new from the store. We ended up after tax credits and store issues getting ours for around 1,200.00 Which now they are around the 3,000.00+ range. The only thing that I think they changed was our baffle. Our baffle is an insulated stainless baffle, and now they are a c-cast.

Quadra-Fire purchased August of 2010, Date on stove 2009. Factory said simply, as older inventory ships out, the newer stoves follow right behind. Guess you get what you get.

Purchased in early March 2007. Manufactured in March, 2007.

Backwoods Savage said:
Purchased in early March 2007. Manufactured in March, 2007.
Oh by the way Dennis, I'm wishing you a fast recovery from your surgery. Hope all went well and they did a great job for a great person.

xclimber said:
Oh by the way Dennis, I'm wishing you a fast recovery from your surgery. Hope all went well and they did a great job for a great person.

Well said--I second.

Looking for a 1981 Toyota pickup w/a 22R engine with that new-car smell. The holes in the floor of the cab let in too much cold air.

The label on the stove stated its manufacture date. I don't remember what it was, just that it was more than a couple of years old. (Covered now by the heat shield.) What mattered more to me was the signature on the back. I had the stove store guys (to the vast annoyance of the one who had to do it) unstack all of the half-dozen of the stoves of this model they had, and open up the crates enough for me to check each one out. I took my time and picked the one whose stones were most carefully matched, and that was signed by the builder in a careful Spencerian script. I figured it was assembled as carefully on the inside as the outside, and that was what mattered to me. Other than that, the stove was identical to the model on the showroom floor and on their website. No pull-by dates on soapstone.

Now that I think about it, I had been dreading the burn-in fires based on some comments I'd read, and really didn't get any odors to mention. Maybe they're like wood--the longer they season, the better they burn . . .

Bought my new stove in August of 2010, the manufacture date was 2006. So I bought a "new", four year old stove. I didn't realize that when I bought it, but only when I filled out the warranty card to send in. It doesn't appear they have changed anything or improved it since that year, so I don't mind at all. It was the floor model, but not hooked up and burning. It is a BK King Parlor.

for those who say it doesn,t matter,it may not,but come resale time,first thing checked no matter what you sell is age,everything else comes after.....

Status
Not open for further replies.