how safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Just how safe is insulated pipe especially in a flue fire event. (through wall)

Depends on what kind of pipe you are talking about. It is as safe as they tests it for. Type 103 HT pipe is tested for a 2100 deg chimney fire for sure. I think they test it 3 times at 10 minutes each test? The pipe might be junk after a chimney fire, but it will contain it and keep your house from starting on fire, supposedly. I just talked to a customer today who has recently had a chimney fire. She told me about 5 times that it was a really bad one so that lead me to believe... it was a really bad one. She also said it was installed 10 years ago and she could not believe we install them don't sweep chimneys, which leads me to believe she did not ever have her chimney swept in 10 years. Hmmmm... I wonder why they had a chimney fire. Anyway, she was looking to replace all her venting so I assumed she still has a house to use the stove in.

She also asked me about any warranty. I told her the chimney fire would void the warranty. Well... how come......? Because you are not supposed to HAVE chimney fires, you are supposed to sweep the chimney annually.

Hmm, you made me think........
For an oil furnace, does the venting system have to be swept?
I never did at my old place for 17 yrs.

Dunno, but I think he is considering a wood appliance so I assume he is asking about wood venting. If not then you can ignore my entire post.

noy sure on rating. i purchased the insulated at lowes to go through my shop wall @70bucks a 3foot stick. ive got 40inches insulated total going through wall. Which remindes me, ive burned about 6 times and ther is a dark brown haze on pipe. When to brush what will it look like when need to brush?

oilstinks said:
noy sure on rating. i purchased the insulated at lowes to go through my shop wall @70bucks a 3foot stick. ive got 40inches insulated total going through wall. Which remindes me, ive burned about 6 times and ther is a dark brown haze on pipe. When to brush what will it look like when need to brush?

That sounds like Duarvent insulated double wall.
Haze ain't nuttin, anything over 1/8" to 1/4" build up I would sweep it out. For first year, check every month or two, then adjust to what you find. Usually 2x a season for me.
Your biggest buildup will be near the top at the cap. if its all outside, it will prolly build up faster, being its coolin off faster out there.

yea im ventig wood. Wanting to use the same setup in my wood heat room addition planned. Do i need to pour mortor i the wall around the pipe (stick built)

No you don't need to fill in the wall cavity. Make sure you have 2" air space clearance all the way around the pipe as it passes threw though. Only thing closer than 2" should be the wall thimbles.

All right a DA question here what exactly is a thimble ive herd this woord all my life i assume it is what makes the hole in the wall pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.