How should I proceed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
Well with the "new to me" jotul all hooked up, I was figuring I should start with a small fire for the first time to make sure all is well maybe 2 biobricks? It would also cure the mill pac too. also, what size fire extinguisher do you guys keep nearby?

Do you have stove top and flue thermometers?? Does your owners manual say how to go about things with "break in" fires??? If so follow that.

If you've done a correct and safe install, really no need for a fire extinguisher...................hopefully. You've found this site for help, so good luck.

Can't guide you with the first fires too much but starting small isn't a bad idea, but like suggested - go with the user's manual for break-in requirements. Beyond that, as long as your stove is installed to specs (again - see user's manual) you should be fine even with a larger fire.

As to the fire extinguisher - there are all extremes here I believe (based on another thread). I upgraded the fire extinguisher in my kitchen from the standard little home/kitchen model to a significantly larger one (I forget the exact size but about the largest one that HD sold). My logic was that since the new stove was near the kitchen it would do double duty for kitchen and stove area (ABC class). Never have I had to pull it down or even really do I expect to - but nice to know it is there. I imagine I'm far more likely to use it in the kitchen (especially with the kids starting to cook) than with the woodstove.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The fire extinguisher is sort of like that spare tire in your car. Hope you never have to use it but if needed, it is there. In this case though, don't forget to check it regularly.

i keep a Kidde fire extinguisher on the bookself in the room with the insert, it really dosent say how big it is but its about the size of a two liter of pop, i also have one in the kitchen for when the wifes cooking. lol

I wouldn't use a biobrick for a breakin fire. Just use some kindling and maybe a couple 2" thick splits. Let that burn and go out. Then make your next fire a little larger, maybe a few 3" splits. Then go for the full burn.

At the exit to the outside I keep a fire extinguisher. I'd rather just have my wife leave the house if there is a fire and call 911.

Since I have the kitchen and stove in approximately the same area I have a 15lb fire extinguisher that handles basement and kitchen incidents.

When I had the Century in house duty I had a smaller one. Larger than the 5lb, smaller than the 15lb. Maybe 10lb? I left it in the house when I started renting it out.

I just put the Century back in duty at the cabin. There is a 5lb one in there now, but I need to move it to the back door and put a larger one near the exit in the stove room.

Truth be told, if in doubt I'd rather whom ever is around vacate the building.

Matt

At the exit to the outside I keep a fire extinguisher. I'd rather just have my wife leave the house if there is a fire and call 911.

Since I have the kitchen and stove in approximately the same area I have a 15lb fire extinguisher that handles basement and kitchen incidents.

When I had the Century in house duty I had a smaller one. Larger than the 5lb, smaller than the 15lb. Maybe 10lb? I left it in the house when I started renting it out.

I just put the Century back in duty at the cabin. There is a 5lb one in there now, but I need to move it to the back door and put a larger one near the exit in the stove room.

Truth be told, if in doubt I'd rather whom ever is around vacate the building.

Matt

Very good advice . . . on the sizing and location . . . but better yet on the advice to evacuate when in doubt.

I wouldn't use a biobrick for a breakin fire. Just use some kindling and maybe a couple 2" thick splits. Let that burn and go out. Then make your next fire a little larger, maybe a few 3" splits. Then go for the full burn.

Good advice on the break in fire . . . unless you can find any break in advice in the actual manual.

Also . . . as mentioned . . . it would be good to have a flue and stove top thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.