How should I reline my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosecond

Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
Southern Ohio
Glad I found this site. I have had some problems and am trying to solve them by reading everything I can find. I have a masonry chimney that I need to reline due to poor construction. I had a home built and hired a mason to build a chimney that had two liners. One for a fireplace and one for a wood stove. I have a two story home with a basement. Stove in the basement, fireplace on first floor. The entire chimney is 44 feet tall. The mason built the chimney with the liner for the wood stove with an off-set. The off-set made a chock point and caused the chimney not to draft properly. The clay tile were 8x8 on the exterior so maybe the liner was 6x6 on the inside. I have removed the clay liner and some of the brick near the off-set to create more space.

We had a power outage one cold winter and I went and bought a Vermont Castings Defiant stove. This is how I found I had a problem with the chimney. The Defiant has an 8” flue collar so my small chimney did not draft well.

I read about relining and decided the clay liner needed to go. It is gone and I am ready to install a new liner. The total length of the liner will be 41’. I thought after reading that a 35’ rigid and 6’ flex liner would work for me. I have had trouble finding a liner that will work. I thought the simpson duraliner was just the ticket but the T at the stove is too large for me to get down the chimney. I will have trouble getting much over 8-1/4” through the off-set so I need a T with a completely removable snout. The other problem with the T is the distance from the T to the face of the Chimney where the stove will connect is 47”. I need a T with a really long snout. Should I just buy a regular T snout and have someone local weld on an extension?

Who should I call to help me with this? I want to do the work myself. I figure if I can remove the liner I should be able to install the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.