how should i take this down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
Got hit with some bad storms nad have to deal with this. whats the best way to put her down?

how should i take this down

i would start by taking off the branches you can reach. It looks like it is past the point of being tensioned, so I wouldn't worry too much about it twisting or springing. I would cut the tail end off, cut the strap then put a strap and winch it off.

Reactions: rygar
thats why i am asking here, i am looking for the safest approach cause i dont want the body of that tree falling anywhere near me.

Yup. Start at the branches and just take it slow. It looks like you will be working over you head and the tree will start to fall more since it is suspended by branches. Take your time. Don't get under it.
Limb it and then start dropping the trunk in sections from top to bottom.

Yep, be careful and take it slow.
And keep that little one away from it till its safely down and cut up.

First move all existing stacked firewood at least 10 yards away. Cant have that damaged ;)

First move all existing stacked firewood at least 10 yards away. Cant have that damaged ;)

The biggest tree that ever fell in my yard was a 24” - 30” diameter black walnut that fell from farther up in the yard directly into my wood splitting area. Almost felt like cheating.

Reactions: rygar and Tar12
Yup. Start at the branches and just take it slow. It looks like you will be working over you head and the tree will start to fall more since it is suspended by branches. Take your time. Don't get under it.
Limb it and then start dropping the trunk in sections from top to bottom.
Yep, what he said. I just took down a beech that ended up about the same way as the tree in the pic. Slow and easy, paying attention to any shifts in the tree.

I would probably first try to pull it down away from the camera down that trail. I would hook my truck to the broken end and see if I could pull it down.

Do it like this:... start at the top and cut everything you can starting with the limbs... then when your left with the trunk, again start at the top and cut as far as you can toward the main trunk that is still upright.. soon as you get it cut as far as you can reach safely, cut the remaining upright trunk as you would a normal tree, notch and backcut to fell completely. drop it over the woodpile.