How Small (Diameter) is Too Small To Burn??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jpl1nh - lol: - Should have seen that coming.

I get the bulk of my wood as log length from a tree service, so that is mostly about 4" and up (mostly up) w/ no branches to worry about.

When I drop a tree on our property, I typically use a hand pruner to trim anything that it can handle - approx 1/2-3/4" and throw it on our brush pile.

Then I get a limb lopper and chop anything that it can handle (up to about 1.5-2") for use as kindling. It gets put into my "kindling bay" in the wood shed, and I bring it in separately from my other wood using a 5 gallon bucket.

From there up it gets cut into rounds, though I don't split anything under 4-5". The smaller stuff will season about as fast as a split as long as it's under cover. It gets mixed in with every thing else, although just because of the timing of when I'm cutting my trees vs. the log-length stuff, my shed piles look like they have layers of unsplit stuff sort of like geology rock layers.

What I've found though is that when burning 24/7 you don't go through that much kindling, and that it's almost as much work and about the same time to cut, carry and stack a 1/2" length of kindling as it is to do the same with a 6" split - and the split will keep you warm for a lot longer... As a result, I've been finding that my standards have been shifting over time, and I'm saving a lot less kindling than I used to.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.