How Sweet It Is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Now in our third straight night of -30/-35F (-34/-37C) temps, and forecast shows it will continue. A few pix of solar energy put to good use: wood shed for this year's wood, part of next year's wood, and wispy steam from the Tarm gasification boiler heating my shop, a converted barn. How sweet it is!

Attachments

• DSCN1614.jpg
    DSCN1614.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 535
  • DSCN1615.jpg
    DSCN1615.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN1618.jpg
    DSCN1618.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 531
great pictures. I really like the look of the wood shed.

Nice pictures! Do you use the old silo for anything?

I've never discovered a practical use for the silo. It is in very good condition. I thought about building a "silo-house" on top, but not sure that I really would use it, other than as a curiosity item. Do you have any ideas?

I have an uncle (contractor) that converted his old silo into a 5 level house. Level 1 - Bar, Level 2 - toy room (Train running around outside), Level 3 - Bedroom, Level 4 - Living room, Top Level - Pool table (a lot of echo's). He ran PVC down the whole legnth of the silo that lands in a trash bucket. You can place an empty beer can in the PVC on any level and it goes to the bottom. He doesnt live in it but it sure is a conversation peice.

jebatty said:
I've never discovered a practical use for the silo. It is in very good condition. I thought about building a "silo-house" on top, but not sure that I really would use it, other than as a curiosity item. Do you have any ideas?
No, not really. We've got a few on the farm that are no longer used, but they are in poor shape and beginning to crumble. I am somewhat of an astronomy buff, and I have seen pictures of people that turned them into an amateur observatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.