1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How the General Public Uses Chainsaws

Post in 'The Gear' started by WarmGuy, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    awesome

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    saved my life, literally. make sure they are Kevlar
  3. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Quick! Draw up a quick will and leave your saw to me when you die?!?!!!!
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Was it an electric powered saw? Electric saws put out waaaaay more torque than a gas powered saw. Easy to stop a gas engine in it's tracks, no so much with electric.
  5. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    never used an electric one, so maybe that is so....couldn't say
  6. charly

charly Guest

In the situation with the bar hitting the helmet,,, the cutter had been bucking up a tree laying on some spring poles,, when the section of log was cut through it released a spring pole sending the bar back at the cutter hitting his helmet... I'll keep wearing my safety gear as I have seen it save people's lives,,, one person being hit in the head with a widow maker just needing stitches instead of a coffin.. I've never been hurt in 30 years of cutting and I don't plan on it now,,, plus I can still hear and see:).
    MasterMech likes this.
  7. schlot

schlot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Iowa
    As far as ppe - I leave my eye protection on all the time unless I'm taking a break. Had plenty of closes calls with branches to the eyes as I limbed with my axe or even dragging bucked pieces out of an area with other trees.
  8. smokeater

smokeater Member

Loc:
    western canada
    I agree,common sense is the number one safety rule.If someone wants to cut wood without wearing every piece of safety equipment known to man then that is thier business.
  9. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    70 or 80? I'm 42 and after 20+ years working on stages and fabrication shops in the entertainment industry I'm already having issues. I wear hearing protection all the time now, but it seems the damage is done. Loud just plain hurts now. Protect your ears!