how tightly sealed is a chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I have my Summit installed. I finished the block off plate and I was getting ready to put the surround on and button everything up. Then go up on the chimney and finish trimming the liner and put the chimney block off on. Well it started to rain here and we had a down pour for about 15 mins. This is the first rain we have had in months. Anyway the good news is. I discovered a few tiny places where my block off plate isn't completely sealed. You can't see an open but it dripped through it. I'm going to goop those places up really good with cement. So here's the question.

Can I go on the roof and calk the chimney block off in place and finish everything up or should I wait until it dries out? I'm leaning towards waiting. Also how long do you think it will take? Should I maybe not caulk the thing in place right now and wait until I can light a fire in it for a few hours to dry it out and then caulk it?

I don't want to seal any mositure in the chimeny, but I'm guessing that even if I do. A season of burning will drive it out any way.

What are you guys thoughts on it.

I would leave the top plate off for the break-in fires, or just sitting loose, and then seal it up.

And change my sig. ;-)

One sunny windy day should dry things out enough to caulk the plate and liner in place at the top..

Congrats on the progress so far. Sounds like you are going about it the correct way

I ordered an extra large plate for the top, and bent the sides over on two sides to go down the sides of the old clay flu tile 1:", then the extra 3" cut off the long end I made angles for the other two flush sides of the plate. In end, all 4 sides have an "L" bend coming down over the sides of the old clay tile top. I then sealed with 600 degree silicone between the top of the old clay flue tile top & the bottom of the plates. Then seals underneath the side bends to the sides of the old clay tile. I had to bend the stainless with my hand brake, and the stainless plate is pretty thick, so any gaps along the sides are sealed up.

Def let it dry, then seal it on a nice sunny dry day.

Status
Not open for further replies.