How to achieve 3" stove pipe clearance in this setup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silbston

Jan 12, 2016
Northern California
I'm about to install a new stove and I'd like to leave the stove pipe setup better (safer) than I found it. The previous owner of 25 years ran single-wall pipe up from the stove and laterally into the existing brick chimney.

The bottom of the lateral pipe and the 45 degree elbow at the junction with the chimney are 4 inches above the wooden cap on the half wall on the right side in the images below, and they sit 5" from the full wall you see on the left. As you can see, there's a hanging heat shield in this area. The wood cap & wall do get warm to the touch, but not hot enough that I need to remove my hand.

Double-wall pipe has a 6" clearance to combustibles, right? Could I replace all the single-wall pipe with double-wall and drape the heat shield over the lateral+elbow to bring the clearances down to about 3"? Or do this in combination with installing a small non-combustible shield on the half-wall cap, trim and the wall to make this corner safe? Or is there a stove pipe product that would work within the constraints you see here?

Thanks for any help!

NN

IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4860.JPG IMG_4861.JPG

Class a chimney is the only product that will allow you to get that close. If it was me i would move the thimble up and onto the corner of the chimney. That would give you enough clearance to use double wall pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.