1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How To burn a longer fire/newbie help

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by jimmieguns, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hello Sir- Well after i "loaded" her up at atound 12 am EST by 1:45 am ii was basically all just coals left-- a very very fast burn I think , no? my Vermont Casting model 0044 (nice-sized unit)--but it IS old 1988 circa

I would love to post pics-- have a few in my cell phone- how to I post them to this board? thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG]
    Hello Sir- Well after i "loaded" her up at atound 12 am EST by 1:45 am ii was basically all just coals left-- a very very fast burn I think , no? my Vermont Casting model 0044 (nice-sized unit)--but it IS old 1988 circa

I would love to post pics-- have a few in my cell phone-

Some of my wood prepped for tonight--did it print ok? thanks

[​IMG]
  3. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Some wood for tonight
    [​IMG]
  4. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    I have to wonder if it isn't a wood issue but more of an overall stove issue...if you have had the stove down to a low damper and the fire was still blazing could it possibly be a leaky gasket? I have a hearthstone heritage and last year was my 1st year burning and was getting poor results...changed the front side and ash door gaskets among other things and the get much better results now.
    pen likes this.
  5. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hello- Funny you should say that-- I DO have a gasket or two actually that needs attention- didn't think that would make such an impact--thanks for the tip/info-- how much better were your results (how did you quantify progress)
  6. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    1/2 cord--320 pieces

[​IMG]
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Hmmm, pictures aren't showing. I think too this may be a gasket issue.
  8. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    I went from burning about 6 full loads a day down to 3...you have to realize that if the gaskets aren't working properly there is additional air flow which is going to cause it to burn faster
  9. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Hope this shows pics-- just a few i had laying in my cellphone camera- will add more

Attached Files:

10. jimmieguns

jimmieguns Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the update---- my unit is so old(i guess it's considered old) that I cannot geet much heat from it unless it is roaring and stoked often.. any thoughts?
  11. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I am going to agree with the others.
    Let your stove go until it is down to just a small amount of coals, rake them forward, then pack as much wood as you can into the stove, open up all of your air controls and damper, let it roar until its about 650 then start cutting it back.
    I would also suggest much larger pieces of wood, no need to split it so small.
    Use your little pieces to fill in the gaps when you pack the stove full and tight.
    Good luck.