How to burn in my paint job?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
Just got done painting my insert out in the garage. Am gonna roll it out tomorrow and burn the paint job in. I have a 3 1/2 ft section of my ss liner i am putting on the outlet to create draft.
1. How many burns should I do?
2. How big should the fires be?
3. Should I burn will all the bricks in or not?

1. Enough so the paint stops stinking. You might do it in two steps (small burn, cool down, medium burn firing up to big burn) Though I doubt the cool down is specifically necessary - so just starting small and slowly increasing should be just as good.

2. I would start small and work up to 'full fire' - as the stove gets hotter, new paint will burn off until you finally get up to the normal burn temp.

3. I would burn the stove in the normal configuration you intend to use it in (ie all bricks, baffles, insulation in place)

Good tips by cozy. I would add to use some very dry wood with that short piece of pipe. Maybe start with some carpentry scraps?

What did you use for paint? Some need longer to cure without heat than others. I have always used heat lamps to help cure tough paint. Seems to reduce the cracking that sometimes occurs. Short low heat burn and cool then a medium heat longer bun then a high heat burn. Do it over two days, and let the stove cool between. Once inside you should have no "paint odor" unless you have srpayed where you shouldn't :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.