How to choose insert location?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeattleRider

Jan 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Folks,
I have two fireplaces on the the first floor (about 1500 sq ft) where I can get my insert installed. One is in the living room at one corner of the house and the other is in the formal living room at the other side of the house.

Formal living room is twice the size of the living room with high ceilings but as many of you might have already experience it gets rarely used.

So now my question is for those of you with multiple options in your houses, how did you pick where to get the insert installed?

Which area is most open to the rest of the house,?

An insert is a space heater. I would put it where I want most of my heat to be.

Reactions: firefighterjake
+1 - central location. If you put it at the corner you'll have a hard time moving air to get heat to other parts of the house.

As you can see there are two trains of thought here.

One idea is to put the insert in the locatoin where the heat will be able to flow out to other areas more easily.

The other idea is to put the insert in the area where you will spend most of your time.

Without seeing a floor plan of your home to get an idea on how the heat may flow and not knowing much about your particular home's insuation, I would guess either location may work if the goal is to move heat through the home . . . the edge may go to the location where most of the rooms are located . . . but again, either area may work . . . and personally . . . I would want the insert to be in the area where I spend the bulk of my time so I can truly enjoy the warmth, the view of the fire, the sound of the snapping, crackling and popping, etc.

We put the first one in the room we spend more time in. We like to look at the fire and it makes monitoring the insert easier when we are spending the most time in that room. I am installing the 2nd insert this weekend if the weather permits. It will be in our formal living room.

That is where I would put it.

As you can see there are two trains of thought here.

One idea is to put the insert in the locatoin where the heat will be able to flow out to other areas more easily.

The other idea is to put the insert in the area where you will spend most of your time.

Without seeing a floor plan of your home to get an idea on how the heat may flow and not knowing much about your particular home's insuation, I would guess either location may work if the goal is to move heat through the home . . . the edge may go to the location where most of the rooms are located . . . but again, either area may work . . . and personally . . . I would want the insert to be in the area where I spend the bulk of my time so I can truly enjoy the warmth, the view of the fire, the sound of the snapping, crackling and popping, etc.
Yup, I'm thinking of keeping the bedrooms warm at night, otherwise I'd put it in the Living Room where you spend most of time, and leave an open Fireplace in the more Formal room for ambiance

Folks,
I have two fireplaces on the the first floor (about 1500 sq ft) where I can get my insert installed. One is in the living room at one corner of the house and the other is in the formal living room at the other side of the house.

Formal living room is twice the size of the living room with high ceilings but as many of you might have already experience it gets rarely used.

So now my question is for those of you with multiple options in your houses, how did you pick where to get the insert installed?

I have to add a little from my experiences - I have 2 inserts - one in the family room, which we do not spend much time in, and one in the living room, where we spend most of our time. I find it a lot easier to maintain the one in the living room - no running up and down stairs constantly to check on the fire, load wood, adjust the air, etc. I find that the convenience factor is quite important. The family room insert is frequently not being used, or neglected to the point of the fire going out.

I'd put it in the formal, high-ceiling, open-to-the-bedrooms spot because that is the best place to utilize the heat from the insert. Is there a reason you won't change the way you use the house after the insert is installed? The room that is currently not used much will become the warmest room in the house with a lovely fire burning in the insert. You may find yourself spending more time in there than you do now.

I'd put it in the formal, high-ceiling, open-to-the-bedrooms spot because that is the best place to utilize the heat from the insert. Is there a reason you won't change the way you use the house after the insert is installed? The room that is currently not used much will become the warmest room in the house with a lovely fire burning in the insert. You may find yourself spending more time in there than you do now.

Wood duck, I am very much open to the idea to start using the formal room as the family room once the fire place is installed there simply because it is a bigger room, high ceilings. The only problem would be to move all the wires into that room for the media center and the sound system but then again change is good :).

One fact that I missed was that formal room has a gas fireplace insert installed in a masonry fireplace, is that hard to remove?

Thank you for all the useful comments, much appreciated.

It shouldn't be too big a deal to remove it. There should be a shut off valve before it. After the insert is removed the pipe is capped. But first take measurements on the fireplace and be sure a good sized wood insert will fit in there. Also, have the chimney checked out for the condition of the flue.

Who are you working with? Sutter Hearth and Home sells good units and would be worth having them out for a quote. They are more expensive but use good materials and do good work.

I am working with Anderson fireplace in Everett. The insert I have picked is the Lopi Freedom and based on my current measurements it should fit easily.

I'd def leave the gas one in then and put the insert in the room you spend more time in. I would not take out a working gas stove, as that can come in handy from time to time and is usually more efficient than forced air.

I am working with Anderson fireplace in Everett. The insert I have picked is the Lopi Freedom and based on my current measurements it should fit easily.

That should warm up the place a mite.

Status
Not open for further replies.