How to clean glass and can't get low temp on Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The Brit

Dec 3, 2018
BC, Canada
Hi one and all,

I will try to keep this brief. I have had two other wood inserts before (Regency make), non-catalytic type. No problems at all. Now I have moved and just had a Blaze King Ashford 30 installed. Installation went well and is to spec. I know cats operate differently to a non cat types, but I do have a couple of concerns.

By the way, the unit has a 2100 insulated chimney system installed in a wood chimney chase, all to code.

1. Even after a high burn as instructed and several days of operating the unit, I get quite heavy black creosote deposits in the lower corners of the glass covering quite a large area. What is the best way to clean this stubborn stuff off or is there another way to operate the stove to reduce this. I also don't really want to have the stove on high all the time to try and do the job of cleaning the glass.

2. I would really like to run the stove between lowest setting and medium most of the time, but I fear it may creosote up the unit or chimney too much. Is this true?

3. Lastly, is there any potential damage that may be done to the chimney or stove if I run with the damper open, as opposed to using the catalytic control all the time? I know this sounds stupid and contrary to how one is supposed to use the unit, but I was curious.

I guess I am one of many trying to get used to using a catalytic wood stove and getting a bit scared of it.
Many thanks to all who can put my mind at ease.

Andy.

with out the cat engaged, your wasting your wood and emitting more pollutants than the stove was designed to emit. Next question is how dry is your wood. Once the wood is chared and in the active zone you should be able to dial the air down and watch the cat temp climb. When throttled down you will get some deposits on the glass. The glass will stay cleaner when you start running the stove hotter

I think the box of a cat stove can look a lot worse than the flue when running low. The cat chews up all that creosote making smoke. Far as I've ever heard it's part of the gig, looking at the fire in a BK isn't where it's at, at least when running low and slow. What's the cap looking like?

Thanks for the quick reply my friend.
The wood is dry for sure, it has been in a good wood shed for about 5 years, no worries there.
When I dial the cat down the temperature goes down slowly, it does not go up as you suggest.

Yes I suspected having a hotter burn would reduce the creosote on the glass. Andy ideas on cleaning the glass by hand?

I see what you mean about the cat eating up the creosote and potentially having less creosote in the chimney. The cap looks clean but mind you, the unit is new and I have only had about 14 fires in it to date.

It can take a while to get used to a new stove. It will not burn like the previous non-cat stoves. Both Webby3650 and Ashful report the glass staying 'reasonably' clean but they have big barns to heat and run the stove at a higher setting. At a low setting the glass is going to get gunked up. To clean the glass some folks report using a razor blade as a scraper to remove heavy buildup. If the cat temp is dropping it could be that it's stalling and needs more air.

I forgot to say, when you engage the cat dont turn the air down right away, let her crank. then star dialing down the air. If you do it to soon you can stall the cat.

I used razor blade and oven cleaner (cold). Any chance glass gasket is not doing it's job? Air Leak? My old BK King did the same thing. Would only have clean glass when I ran it full bore. When temps were warm outside I had to dial it down to Medium or low. Lucky for me I had clean out outside I could run brush thru. Black junk would clog up the cap. I would clean it once a month or so. Depending on how much snow and temps. (Chimney) I just learned to live with it. I switched to pellet stove. Cleanup is a breeze. Wet and dry paper towel. 5 seconds like new. Don't miss the royal pain wood was getting to be.

When I ran the stove and got the temps up and closed the bypass to put it in Cat Mode the temp would go even higher (normal). In get good 10-12 hours on full stove (overnight).

A razor blade can remove the heavy stuff. When cool use a small dense plastic scrub brush wet with Rutland glass cleaner. The brush gets it off quick. Wipe residue off with dry paper towel. Can do a VC Encore in about 10 minutes this way. Kevin

I tried a very fine steel wool pad with a little water and ash and it cleaned my glass like magic. I tried regular fine steel wool and it didn't do anything.

The biggest factors for clean glass for me are:
  • Reload when it's still nice and hot with lots of coals to get the fuel going quickly, rake the coals to the front and keep you new fuel towards the back.
  • After reload, I run it on high (with the bypass closed) until my flue (insertion) is over 600 for at least 10minutes, then I step it down to my cruise setting in a 2 or 3 steps over the next 10-15 minutes. It might take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to heat up nicely depending on how dry and how much wood I loaded. (this is the biggest factor).
  • Don't stall it, nothing soils the glass more than a stalled out stove smoldering for hours.
  • It won't fully self clean, but raking the coals forwards with a east west log in the back half on high does clean things up quite a bit.
  • I get a bunch of creosote buildup in the stove, but my chimney was pretty good after a season of burning (15' straight up excel).
  • Make sure you wood isn't cut too long, you want laminar fresh air flow on the glass. If you have wood protruding too close to the glass, things get turbulent and the smoke swirls against the glass.
  • I don't worry about it too much, there just isn't enough heat to keep the inner glass and firebox surfaces above the creosote deposit temps at lower burns.
I wonder if Woodstock style double pane glass would keep the inside hot enough to avoid getting dirty?

I wouldn't be scared. As long as you don't stall the cat by trying to turn it down too much, your chimney will stay fairly clean. Keep an eye on it for a while though, until you have a handle on what to expect.
How tall is your chimney?
I wonder if Woodstock style double pane glass would keep the inside hot enough to avoid getting dirty?
Yeah, the Fireview and Keystone stay pretty clean; The inner glass layer stays hotter. I haven't cleaned the glass in probably a month (I need to do that to prevent etching) and all I'm seeing is a little haze on the glass.
I don't know how the hybrid steel stoves do but I think the PH stone hybrid glass stays clean.

Are you loading E/W or N/S? If N/S, how long are the pieces? Near glass? Using smaller size (diameter) to fill stove creates more space for air circulation. But it will shorten burn times due to added surface area.

I get quite heavy black creosote deposits in the lower corners of the glass covering quite a large area.
I've never cleaned mine, I'd have to do it every day... and the fire hasn't gone out in two months! I thought those "dragon eyes" were a feature of the A30.;lol

Reactions: MissMac
I have a different BK, but I completely quit worrying about it.

In the months when the glass gets gunky, there is nothing to see inside the stove anyway. I'm running it on low, no flames, and it doesn't look any different with a clear window or a black window.

In the winter I run it much hotter and it cleans itself.

No fussing with the door required.

What is the best way to clean this stubborn stuff off

For most glass deposits, I use simply a moist paper towel, then dipped in ash from the stove. Scrub. Repeat as needed. Wipe clean with a clean towel.

But if you get heavy deposits, then yes your burn style should change.

In the months when the glass gets gunky, there is nothing to see inside the stove anyway. I'm running it on low, no flames, and it doesn't look any different with a clear window or a black window.
When I'm ramping up a new load, I want to see the fire so I can tell whether it needs more or less air.

Interesting observation. Regardless of burn rate, my glass stays cleaner with NIELS versus cordwood. Piece size? Air flow restriction? Fuel/fire further from glass? Moisture content difference? I will experiment with these in mind.

But if you get heavy deposits, then yes your burn style should change.

BK stoves are designed to burn low, when you burn them low the glass will get dirty.(new box design is better than the old) The inside of the stove and glass will be dirty the chimney should be clean as long as the cat is staying active. Unless the dirty glass bothers them enough there is no reason to change the "burn style".

I'd imagine if the information to purchase this stove was found from this site it was known before the purchase that a low burn will result in a dirty glass. I knew this going in and it didn't change my mind in any way shape or form. I know the stove fits my house and life better than any other stove out there. I use it for heat, I watch the flames once a day for about 30 minutes before turning it down to black box mode.

double pane glass would keep the inside hot enough to avoid getting dirty?
It's been about six weeks since I've cleaned the glass. Crappy pic but you get the idea.
How to clean glass and can't get low temp on Blaze King

Last edited:
when i started burning in my sirroco 30.1 last winter, i fussed about the glass and wanting it to look clean. i used stove cleaner and elbow grease and it worked, but it wasn't much fun. then after awhile i realized that running a good hot load through the stove cleaned it up better and with much less effort from me! i'd say let the stove clean itself up with a hot load if you don't like the looks of it, but as others have said, realizing the low and slow feature of this stove = dirty glass. just enjoy the heat and the burn times!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I think the box of a cat stove can look a lot worse than the flue when running low. The cat chews up all that creosote making smoke. Far as I've ever heard it's part of the gig, looking at the fire in a BK isn't where it's at, at least when running low and slow. What's the cap looking like?
I appreciate all the input guys. I saw my friends Princess BK today. Their cat setting is just over half way and the glass is soooo clean. Their unit does not feel overly hot either. Even when I place my hand on the back it is barely warm and no fan running.
I have noticed if I use this setting on mine, the glass is still gunked up and the back of the stove where you can install the fans is bloody hot. Also the drywall I feel is too warm. If I ever let it run too long at that setting or higher it will destroy the wall. Yes it is installed correctly. Blaze King is a dead loss at solving this issue and has not replied at all.
Unless I run with the cat dial open over half way, I don't see a glow to the cat. Does this mean the cat has stalled?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but this is getting dangerous and frustrating.
Many thanks to you all.
Andy

The biggest factors for clean glass for me are:
  • Reload when it's still nice and hot with lots of coals to get the fuel going quickly, rake the coals to the front and keep you new fuel towards the back.
  • After reload, I run it on high (with the bypass closed) until my flue (insertion) is over 600 for at least 10minutes, then I step it down to my cruise setting in a 2 or 3 steps over the next 10-15 minutes. It might take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to heat up nicely depending on how dry and how much wood I loaded. (this is the biggest factor).
  • Don't stall it, nothing soils the glass more than a stalled out stove smoldering for hours.
  • It won't fully self clean, but raking the coals forwards with a east west log in the back half on high does clean things up quite a bit.
  • I get a bunch of creosote buildup in the stove, but my chimney was pretty good after a season of burning (15' straight up excel).
  • Make sure you wood isn't cut too long, you want laminar fresh air flow on the glass. If you have wood protruding too close to the glass, things get turbulent and the smoke swirls against the glass.
  • I don't worry about it too much, there just isn't enough heat to keep the inner glass and firebox surfaces above the creosote deposit temps at lower burns.

I appreciate all the input guys. I saw my friends Princess BK today. Their cat setting is just over half way and the glass is soooo clean. Their unit does not feel overly hot either. Even when I place my hand on the back it is barely warm and no fan running.
I have noticed if I use this setting on mine, the glass is still gunked up and the back of the stove where you can install the fans is bloody hot. Also the drywall I feel is too warm. If I ever let it run too long at that setting or higher it will destroy the wall. Yes it is installed correctly. Blaze King is a dead loss at solving this issue and has not replied at all.
Unless I run with the cat dial open over half way, I don't see a glow to the cat. Does this mean the cat has stalled?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but this is getting dangerous and frustrating.
Many thanks to you all.
Andy

Haven't read all the posts but to clean glass I just use ash from the fire box with wet/damp paper towel for first pass then wet towel to get clean of ash and follow up with dry paper towel. It did not work perfectly at first but the more I use it now it only takes me a minute to clean my glass every 4 or 5 days. I used the stuff you get at Home Depot that cleans glass I think it's called Vermont glass cleaner. I still have some but don't use it anymore. Don't give up just keep using the ash from the Firebox a damp paper towel at first wipe off then with a wet paper towel and then follow up with a dry paper towel.

Reactions: Rhodie